Recipe It's that time of year again- Vidalia Onions

Howard Law

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
So it's late spring and there are onions-a-plenty around middle Georgia. And as with every year, our office has a 40 pound sack of onions and everyone is welcome to take what they want.

Being that there are few cooks in this office, me and one other guy end up getting most of them.

So... does anyone have any good onion dish recipes? Please share-

I have a Vidalia Onion Casserole recipe that I'll be posting later once I'm close to my cookbook.

Reactions: Laufen and sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
So it's late spring and there are onions-a-plenty around middle Georgia. And as with every year, our office has a 40 pound sack of onions and everyone is welcome to take what they want.

Being that there are few cooks in this office, me and one other guy end up getting most of them.

So... does anyone have any good onion dish recipes? Please share-

I have a Vidalia Onion Casserole recipe that I'll be posting later once I'm close to my cookbook.
I like to just wrap them in aluminum foil with some butter and salt and pepper throw on the charcoal grill. And wow how yummy.

Reactions: Laufen and dial1911

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
Cut up onion into slices
Cut up some cucumbers
Half cup sugar
Half cup vinegar
Half cup water
Let sit 24 hours
And a kick ass cucumber salad

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I like to just wrap them in aluminum foil with some butter and salt and pepper throw on the charcoal grill. And wow how yummy.

I do this when ever I'm grilling and have a good, sweet onion on hand... Core the onion, place in tin foil pouch then pour in a 1/2 cup or so of Worcestershire sauce. Then put about two tablespoons of butter or margarine on top and seal the foil. I usually put the sealed pouch on the grill soon after lighting it- the onion seems to take longer than anything else to cook through.
[DOUBLEPOST=1462987038][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cut up onion into slices
Cut up some cucumbers
Half cup sugar
Half cup vinegar
Half cup water
Let sit 24 hours
And a kick ass cucumber salad

The cucumber slices reminded me- ever grill a cucumber slice? It's really pretty darn good. Just add a little salt and (if you like) pepper.

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I do this when ever I'm grilling and have a good, sweet onion on hand... Core the onion, place in tin foil pouch then pour in a 1/2 cup or so of Worcestershire sauce. Then put about two tablespoons of butter or margarine on top and seal the foil. I usually put the sealed pouch on the grill soon after lighting it- the onion seems to take longer than anything else to cook through.
[DOUBLEPOST=1462987038][/DOUBLEPOST]

The cucumber slices reminded me- ever grill a cucumber slice? It's really pretty darn good. Just add a little salt and (if you like) pepper.
love all veggies , except peppers and love to grill

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I made cucumber salad yesterday, has to sit for 24 hours

@dial1911 more onion ideas?

I found a grilled onion burger (Oklahoma favorite I guess) but haven't tried it yet. Been working a lot this week to get on top of things. Also went to the doctor today because apparently this 'little sinus infection' decided to become much, much worse. But I'll still be at work tomorrow.

Made carnitas last weekend and the tacos have been great- but now I'm about sick of pork and have 1.5 pounds left to eat. Or freeze I guess.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
I found a grilled onion burger (Oklahoma favorite I guess) but haven't tried it yet. Been working a lot this week to get on top of things. Also went to the doctor today because apparently this 'little sinus infection' decided to become much, much worse. But I'll still be at work tomorrow.

Made carnitas last weekend and the tacos have been great- but now I'm about sick of pork and have 1.5 pounds left to eat. Or freeze I guess.

hope you feel better, I'll post up a pic in AM of cucumber salad

I made killer fried green tomatoes yesterday

Reactions: dial1911

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
mine came out perfect, old iron skillet. my husband who had NEVER ate a fried green tomato, like them a lot
I think I had my first fried green tomato last year, and that will be my last; too bitter for me