Interested in trying a Crossbow??

Faktory 47
H

Hoss

Sam's has an incredible deal on a 370fps crossbow bundle. It's a great deal of your want to get in to crossbow hunting. I'd say it's the equivalent of getting in to ARs with a Delton Sport.

370fps is more than adequate for any animal available to hunt in GA.

Last edited by a moderator:

boss_hawg

Weekend Warrior
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
But why?

If you have a medical exemption/reason to use a crossbow during bow season then I understand.

Otherwise I think if you’re gonna shy away from modern weapons then why not go straight to a bow?

I’m of the opinion that if you’re truly out to “harvest” an animal then you should do it humanely as possible with the best weapon allowed during that season: be it a bow, a black powder rifle, or a modern rifle. I’m not sure that a crossbow is the most technically proficient weapon in any of the GA hunting seasons unless you have an exemption.

I’m sure that there’ll be several responses to this line of thinking. Change my mind.

H

Hoss

But why?

If you have a medical exemption/reason to use a crossbow during bow season then I understand.

Otherwise I think if you’re gonna shy away from modern weapons then why not go straight to a bow?

I’m of the opinion that if you’re truly out to “harvest” an animal then you should do it humanely as possible with the best weapon allowed during that season: be it a bow, a black powder rifle, or a modern rifle. I’m not sure that a crossbow is the most technically proficient weapon in any of the GA hunting seasons unless you have an exemption.

I’m sure that there’ll be several responses to this line of thinking. Change my mind.
A 400+ grain bolt moving at 370fps with a mechanical broadhead that expands to 2" in diameter upon impact and passes completely through the deer's chest is every bit as effective as a rifle shot. Add in the fact that it's completely silent, compact and lightweight and you have a perfect hunting platform for anything under 70 yards.

Reactions: 1776

the_great_white

High Drag - Low Speed Operator
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Add in the fact that it's completely silent, compact and lightweight

i'll disagree on those points.
quieter than a rifle, yes....but louder than any other archery gear.
far from compact IMO...more like trying to carry a 2 foot wide rifle.
and no, not very light..heavier than any other archery equipment or long gun.

but yes, very effective with an accurately placed shot.

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
i'll disagree on those points.
quieter than a rifle, yes....but louder than any other archery gear.
far from compact IMO...more like trying to carry a 2 foot wide rifle.
and no, not very light..heavier than any other archery equipment or long gun.

but yes, very effective with an accurately placed shot.

Mine is 6.5 inches wide when cocked and lighter than my AR's. At those speeds the deer dont have time to duck the shot.

Reactions: the_great_white

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
But why?

Oklahoma archery season: Oct 1-Jan 15 - either sex allowed.

Right now you can legally take "antlerless" only with a rifle. (regular either-sex gun season ended 12/2)
I see as many or more bucks as does at Henryetta, so a crossbow is good medicine. I originally bought it for hogs - I could shoot hogs with a firearm, but only archery for deer in the early season. As many others will testify, a good hit with a crossbow is very lethal.

Haas2418

Scout
Apr 24, 2021
But why?

I hunt with with long , recurve,and cross bow and never had a deer go more than 25 yards . With my rifles I have had deer run over two hundred yards. It's all about shot placement and doing your best to only take a good shot. And with my bows I only use expandable broad heads that open to at least two inches.