If you play stupid games with the ATF, you win stupid prizes.

American Revival Apparel Company

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Ohio man arrested for the second time for selling unregistered silencers on ebay.

SmartSelectImage_2016-09-05-09-58-58.png

"EAST PALESTINE, Ohio –

An East Palestine man may find out this week if he’ll be going to prison after federal agents say they caught him with unregistered firearm silencers for a second time in two years.

According to court documents, Brent See was arrested on August 12 after a search of his Bacon Avenue office and machine shop turned up 196 silencers.Three more of the devices were confiscated during an earlier visit by See’s probation officer, according to investigators.

An affidavit filed by an agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives says that See told investigators that he has been making the devices for more than a year, then selling them on eBay for $50 to $80 apiece.

Although See calls the devices “muzzle breaks”, the ATF classifies them as unregistered silencers, bearing no serial numbers.

According to the ATF, a silencer is any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a firearm.
See does not have a license to manufacture silencers according to the government.

See is still on probation from a 2014 conviction for possessing unregistered firearms after he sold an ATF undercover agent three kits that could be assembled to make a device used to diminish the report of a firearm.

During that investigation, agents from the U.S. Postal Service and ATF searched See’s Signal Road home in Fairfield Township.

In December 2014, See was sentenced to six months electronically monitored house arrest and placed on probation for five years.

A probation revocation hearing stemming from the current investigation was held last week in U.S. District Court in Akron.

A detention hearing for See is set for Wednesday."

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/30/ebay-silencer-arrest/

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
The big locker is how many people bought them and when will the atf be going after them?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Fuck the ATF. Selencers should be 100% legal, no BS registration, or tax stamps.

But, yeah, given current laws that guy is an idiot.

I agree. I try my best not to poke the bear though, especially when that bear can lock your ass up for years.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
How is that a silencer though? Just an elongated brake?
I could only imagine that it would just so happen to fit in a commonly found tubing. Like maybe a flash light or that really neat solid tube that your pocket pleasure device came in.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I could only imagine that it would just so happen to fit in a commonly found tubing. Like maybe a flash light or that really neat solid tube that your pocket pleasure device came in.
Could be but that's not his fault. That would be on the jackass breaking the law and turning a brake into a silencer. The user misused the brake. The manufacture didn't force the user into using it in that way.

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Could be but that's not his fault. That would be on the jackass breaking the law and turning a brake into a silencer. The user misused the brake. The manufacture didn't force the user into using it in that way.

But there is only 2 things you would buy that is 8" long and metal. Neither one of those would be a brake. I understand your side of the argument, but look at the picture and tell me that does not resemble the innards of a suppressor. That 3 day weekend must be getting to you already.

Oh and just so we are clear.......... Screw the ATF

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
But there is only 2 things you would buy that is 8" long and metal. Neither one of those would be a brake. I understand your side of the argument, but look at the picture and tell me that does not resemble the innards of a suppressor. That 3 day weekend must be getting to you already.

Oh and just so we are clear.......... Screw the ATF
I get it, but tell me a mag light doesnt resemble a suppressor..... That shouldnt mean I cant have one and use it as intended. IF and when someone uses it illegally is when he/she should get in trouble. Not just because it resembles something else.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I get it, but tell me a mag light doesnt resemble a suppressor..... That shouldnt mean I cant have one and use it as intended. IF and when someone uses it illegally is when he/she should get in trouble. Not just because it resembles something else.
Yeah, but it also does not help the way he had the advertisement written. Him saying that the brake offered a nice low tone, does not exactly make him have a strong case. I agree that what he was selling was not EXACTLY an nfa item, though you are not legally allowed to manufacture any part of a nfa item without proper licensing. But it is very clear what the intended use was for and you have to agree with that.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yeah, but it also does not help the way he had the advertisement written. Him saying that the brake offered a nice low tone, does not exactly make him have a strong case. I agree that what he was selling was not EXACTLY an nfa item, though you are not legally allowed to manufacture any part of a nfa item without proper licensing. But it is very clear what the intended use was for and you have to agree with that.
I guess. Im in a grey area about shit like that. If thats the case then every pistol "brace" manufacture should be under arrest and in jail/on probation... Also anyone that has a "pistol" in a caliber that has steel core available etc etc etc... Since we know what most people's intended use is.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

Yeah, the dude made a monocore baffle system and he knows it.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I guess. Im in a grey area about shit like that. If thats the case then every pistol "brace" manufacture should be under arrest and in jail/on probation... Also anyone that has a "pistol" in a caliber that has steel core available etc etc etc... Since we know what most people's intended use is.
Except they have specific "permission" to manufacture and sell the product as a brace...this guy didn't. That's where he fucked himself. He didn't get a ruling before manufacturing and selling, he waited for that to come after the fact. If he wanted to be above board, he should have requested a ruling first.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Except they have specific "permission" to manufacture and sell the product as a brace...this guy didn't. That's where he fucked himself. He didn't get a ruling before manufacturing and selling, he waited for that to come after the fact. If he wanted to be above board, he should have requested a ruling first.
Sig didnt have a ruling when they came out with the pistol brace. They arent in jail...

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I fully agree with the whole ATF ruling on stupid laws. I personally don't see a big need for the ATF at all. But if you are going to walk a fine line against their laws then you better be ready to suffer the consequences. When you got somebody like this ebay special, it really puts a bad rep for so many manufactures and owners. He knows that he was breaking the (BS) law, but instead of breaking it he should have went down the right road and got the license. Then at least he would be on the right side of the fight and could help with demolishing the ATF and their stupid laws.