I think I'm going to start prepping

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I've been doing little bits here and there but I think I want to go full blown prepper now. I've made a couple small steps in the last couple weeks. My plan is to spend 250ish every month. What do y'all think I should focus on first?

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
I've been doing little bits here and there but I think I want to go full blown prepper now. I've made a couple small steps in the last couple weeks. My plan is to spend 250ish every month. What do y'all think I should focus on first?

Water of course... Do you have a well??? Or a water purification system? If not get that 1st... And if you have a place to store extra canned food, that will stay cool down in your neck of the woods, if the power goes off, I stock up on Soup's, Canned Salmon, Corn, Veggies, etc, etc... And if you have dogs, at least 100 lbs of dog food on hand. The canned goods you can get every time you shop, and add's up pretty quick.... I for got TP, tampons, and all of the little everyday shit we (women) take for granted.

Grunk

Sweeping the Steps of your Empire
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
IMO, the most difficult thing that is often overlooked is water supply. Filters take time, purification supplies have a shelf life, storing large amounts is difficult. And you use a lot more than you realize.

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Water of course... Do you have a well??? Or a water purification system? If not get that 1st... And if you have a place to store extra canned food, that will stay cool down in your neck of the woods, if the power goes off, I stock up on Soup's, Canned Salmon, Corn, Veggies, etc, etc... And if you have dogs, at least 100 lbs of dog food on hand. The canned goods you can get every time you shop, and add's up pretty quick.... I for got TP, tampons, and all of the little everyday shit we (women) take for granted.
I built a storage rack last weekend to get started. 0121191029.jpg

I can fit 20 of those 27 gallon totes. I plan on filling them this year. I have 21 40 packs of bottled water right now but I do need a way to purify water.

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I set my needs to 90 days. most people have 3 days worth of stuff. But 90 days with nothing/ no resupply should be pretty realistic.
I have pretty close to a 90 day supply right now of food and water. I want to get to a year's supply. I'm going to buy some oxygen absorbers and start vacuum sealing rice, beans, and pasta.

BangBang

Apprentice to master AR builder Greg Vess
Site Supporter
Aug 26, 2018
Danielsville
Zip code
For all you guys with wells, Google “emas pump”

They’re pretty cheap and easy to make. I built one and put it in my well about 5 or 6 years ago after we lost power for a few days and were without water.

I’ve used it several times over the years during power outages. It has definitely paid for itself.

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
I built a storage rack last weekend to get started. View attachment 47445

I can fit 20 of those 27 gallon totes. I plan on filling them this year. I have 21 40 packs of bottled water right now but I do need a way to purify water.

Make sure whatever you put in them can survive the heat, Also, your garage is a easy target, for a "bum rush" and have your shit taken...A basement would be better.

Reactions: Grunk