Hunting Rifles?

American Revival Apparel Company

DTF23

Hunter
Jan 30, 2016
Just wondering what everyone is using for hunting? I'm about to go out for the first time in my life at some point this year on a trip with my father in law. I don't know a thing about hunting or the guns used for it. Will be hunting moose/elk on this trip down the road.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I go out with my Marlin .45-70 lever gun here of course due to the no bottle neck cartridge rule in Ohio; and my favorite which is my .454 Casull for pistol hunting but depending on where your going and their rules regarding caliber/cartridge your choices could be wide open, when I lived out west a lot of guys were using a 30.06 but once again depends on what it is your looking to do how close are you wanting to fall the animal, are you looking at taking long shots, if so then capability comes in because the last thing you want to do is wound the animal and not take it down if ya know what I mean. Lots to read out on the net and just like the newspaper while some of it is helpful there is a lot of crap out there as well lol, If your father in law is experienced then that to be honest is the first place I would look to as you already have the relationship in motion.

Good luck to ya!

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
While there are no historical data backing numbers it has been said the 30-06 has killed more North American game than any other cartridge. That would be a good place to start. After that you have your .30cal magnums, with the Win Mag or the 300 WSM probably being the two most popular. Any of these with proper shot placement within the correct envelope will drop a moose/elk.

OhAggie98

Hunter
Mar 5, 2016
Depends on what you are hunting. I grew up in Texas, and used a .243 for white tail, mule deer, and wild hogs. A good all around gun is the .270, as it's recoil is not that of the bigger guns, but with proper shot placement it will drop all North American wild game. Then as stated above you can get into the 30-06, or the .30cal magnums. It really depends on length of shots you expect to take and type of animal.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
For that type of hunting I love my Mossberg 4x4 in .30-06. It's a tack driver, fairly lightweight, and inexpensive enough that I don't mind taking it afield.

View attachment 644

Shawn Agne

Woodsman
Feb 22, 2016
After my dad passed away 10 years ago my brother split up is collection. My brother took his 700SPS in 300 RSAUM, but had me work up a load for it. I think it was with 165gr or 180gr of something. Well I found a load and it thundered down range but I absolutely hated to shoot it. Trigger guard would smack back and hit my middle finger, gun was to light for my liking. I developed a flinch from that darn thing and took several trips to the range for smallbore practice to get rid of it.

Other cartridge you can look at is the 280 Remington or its bigger cousin the 280AI. The 280 Rem is my primary 1000yd cartridge, ballistically you can't beat a 7mm and they retain velocity (and thus Kinetic energy) down range better than any .30cal bullet will. Jack O'Connor made the .270 Win famous but its been said had he shot the 280 Rem instead the .270 Win would have disappeared. The other benefit is the 280 or 280AI use the standard bolt face and the later can push stuff just as hard as a 7mm RSAUM.