HUGE SURPRISE!

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
It looks like Trump's nomination for attorney general, William Burr, has a history of being strongly anti-Second Amendment.

The Senate Judiciary Committee began confirmation hearings on the nominee today.
His name is William Barr, and he actually served as U.S. Attorney General once before under President George H.W. Bush from 1991-1993.
It was during the hearings for that position in 1991 that William Barr expressed his support for gun control:
On the assault weapon front, the proposal before us is the DeConcini amendment. And I think ... I would support both the Brady Bill waiting period and the DeConcini [semi-auto ban] amendment, provided that they were parts of a broader and more comprehensive crime bill that included ... very tough provisions on the use of firearms in crimes and illegal purchase and trading in firearms...
So Barr endorsed both the Brady Check portion of the Brady Bill and the semi-auto ban, although he did express a preference for magazine bans: "I would prefer a limitation on the clip [sic] size."
You can see Barr's remarks at the 1:42:23 mark in this C-Span video.

So please urge Sen. Johnny Isakson (R) and Sen. David Perdue (R) to vote NO on William Barr, unless the candidate demonstrates indisputable support for the Second Amendment.

Grunk

Sweeping the Steps of your Empire
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Already sent emails before I left the house this morning to Perdue and Isakson to vote against the nomination.

Reactions: BangBang

karlvv

Stupid Ass
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
My views were much different 27 years ago. Most people's were. Do you have anything more recent?

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Well after reading the following response Barr gave to Diane Feinstein in yesterday's testimony, I sent another email to both Perdue and Isakson to vote no on confirming Barr and an email to the White House asking Trump to withdraw the nomination.

"I think that the problem of our time is to get an effective system in place that can keep dangerous firearms out of the hands of mentally ill people," Barr replied.

"That is -- should be priority number one. And it's going to take some hard work. And we need to get on top of the problem. We need to come up with agreed-to standards that are prohibitors of people who are mentally ill. We have to put the resources in to get the system built up the way we did many years ago on the felon records and so forth.

We have to get the system working. And as I say, it's sort of piecemeal a little bit right now. We need to really get some energy behind it and get it done.

And I also think we need to push along the ERPOs (Extreme Risk Protection Orders), so we have these red flag laws to supplement the use of the background check to find out if someone has some mental disturbance. This is the single most important thing I think we can do in the gun control area to stop these massacres from happening in the first place."

I tried to make it clear how important this issue is with the following comment in all my emails:

There was a time when I believed the Republican Party stood for the Constitution and the foundational precepts of America. This "take the guns first and worry about due process later" attitude has proven me wrong. The executive ban on bump stocks and your nomination of someone who does not support upholding ALL rights enumerated in The Constitution of the United States of America is pushing me and everyone I can influence to vote Libertarian in all coming elections. I realize that this will probably put Congress in the hands of Democrats and perhaps even turn Georgia into a "blue" state. But to be blunt, I'd rather deal with an open and honest enemy than be stabbed in the back by supposed "friends and supporters of the 2nd and 4th Amendments".

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Just got a response from Perdue to my email opposing Barr. Keep in mind while reading his response that I only talked about Barr's stance on the 2nd Amendment and nothing else.

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of Mr. William Barr to be Attorney General of the United States. I always appreciate the opportunity to hear from my fellow Georgians.

On December 7th, President Trump nominated Mr. Barr to be the next Attorney General of the United States. I believe Mr. Barr, who previously served as Attorney General during the Administration of President George H.W. Bush, will bring a wealth of experience and legal knowledge to the Department of Justice if he is confirmed by the Senate.

In addition, Mr. Barr stated on multiple occasions in written and public testimony during his confirmation hearing that he will let the Mueller investigation progress without interference until its completion. I believe that Mr. Barr will keep his promise, and I look forward to supporting his nomination on the floor of the Senate.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about such an important issue. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kindest regards,

David Perdue
United States Senator

I never brought up The Mueller investigation in my email. :tsk:

Reactions: Slacker1972

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Just got a response from Perdue to my email opposing Barr. Keep in mind while reading his response that I only talked about Barr's stance on the 2nd Amendment and nothing else.

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of Mr. William Barr to be Attorney General of the United States. I always appreciate the opportunity to hear from my fellow Georgians.

On December 7th, President Trump nominated Mr. Barr to be the next Attorney General of the United States. I believe Mr. Barr, who previously served as Attorney General during the Administration of President George H.W. Bush, will bring a wealth of experience and legal knowledge to the Department of Justice if he is confirmed by the Senate.

In addition, Mr. Barr stated on multiple occasions in written and public testimony during his confirmation hearing that he will let the Mueller investigation progress without interference until its completion. I believe that Mr. Barr will keep his promise, and I look forward to supporting his nomination on the floor of the Senate.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about such an important issue. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kindest regards,

David Perdue
United States Senator

I never brought up The Mueller investigation in my email. :tsk:
Auto reply is a bitch.

Reactions: Grunk

Grunk

Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
The Senate approved Barr as AG today in a 54-45 vote with Sen. Rand Paul the only Republican to vote against his confirmation. Paul and the GOA were able to hold his feet to the fire for some concessions, but, of course, there is really no way to make him stick to these "promises" once he holds office. Also, the NRA seems to have been notably absent during this whole process. From the GOA:

Throughout the confirmation process, GOA worked with a small cadre of Senators who were able to get Barr to backtrack (somewhat) from his stated intention of pushing Gun Confiscation Orders as his chief gun priority.

What Sen. Paul and others were able to achieve was truly a result of your activism in pounding the Senate.

Through a series of action alerts, GOA and its members prompted several pro-gun Senators to confront William Barr over his support for gun control.

And Senate sources confirm that Barr was well aware of the loud voice that GOA members have on Capitol Hill.

So what ground did Barr concede?

Well, he repeatedly told pro-gun senators that “front-end due process” would be necessary for any Gun Confiscation Orders that he would push -- a position that was an apparent retreat from his earlier stance.

What does “front-end due process” mean?

For starters, this would certainly mean that police could not get a “secret order” to raid a gun owner’s house and confiscate his guns -- without a hearing where he was able to be present, hire a lawyer, and participate.

Hence, there would be no ex parte secret court proceedings, resulting in raids in the middle of the night.

This would mean that none of the 14 states which currently have Gun Confiscation Orders would have acceptable laws.

This would mean that S. 7 -- the Senate gun confiscation bill -- would not be acceptable.

And this would mean that none of the bills which have been introduced in 36 other states would be acceptable.

I'll be saving to renew my GOA membership for sure.

Reactions: Laufen