HOW DARE YOU!!! - Kids and Guns (Video)

GA Firing Line

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
Recently I shared a photo of my Niece and Nephew holding my revolvers on my Facebook page and sure enough I had a lady start in on me. I have my profile set to private but sure enough, she was a friend of a friend of a friend so she was able to see it. Well she started in on me telling me that this was the saddest photo she has ever seen. Then she went on to say that children should never handle a firearm even if you are teaching them safety. I know right!?

Well I decided to make a video sharing my opinions on this matter. Check it out and also let me know your opinions on this as well.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Good on you @NolansMindset I think ignorance is what allows accidents to happen. I started teaching my son early with airsoft and if the pistol or rifle wasn't made safe or pointed in a safe direction we were done for the day. He learned early to treat every firearm as if it's loaded and to be safe at all times with a firearm of any kind if he wanted to enjoy shooting them. Each child is different when it comes to understanding and being responsible with firearms so it's up to the parent to judge when they are ready for all the responsibility that comes with shooting firearms. Sport shooting can be fun but ignorance is no excuse with all the info we have at our fingertips. Take the time to teach the kids so they can teach others as well. It's a great investment and time well spent.

Reactions: NolansMindset

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
Good on you @NolansMindset I think ignorance is what allows accidents to happen. I started teaching my son early with airsoft and if the pistol or rifle wasn't made safe or pointed in a safe direction we were done for the day. He learned early to treat every firearm as if it's loaded and to be safe at all times with a firearm of any kind if he wanted to enjoy shooting them. Each child is different when it comes to understanding and being responsible with firearms so it's up to the parent to judge when they are ready for all the responsibility that comes with shooting firearms. Sport shooting can be fun but ignorance is no excuse with all the info we have at our fingertips. Take the time to teach the kids so they can teach others as well. It's a great investment and time well spent.

Thanks @Red Dawn ....... You definitely did it right by making them have respect for their firearms. Good for you my man!

Reactions: Red Dawn

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I agree 100%
I started gun safety with my children when they were 3 to 4 years old! I taught them to recognizes a firearm (not toy guns) and to nother touch it and immediately tell an adult. I would test them by placing an unloaded and locked and open bolt on a rifle or slide locked back on a pistol on the couch or in the floor. Their mom would wake them up from a nap or they would be playing in their room. I would hide out of sight and my wife would stay back in their room. They would run into the den/dining room area to play and I would wait to see if and what they did once they noticed the weapon. They immediately ran back to tell there mother every time or myself if we switches roles.

I also had a bolt action .22 that I taught them to shoot with stressing more the safety and safety gear required to shoot. As they got older, I worked on marksmanship skills with pistol, rifle and shotgun.

Reactions: Red Dawn

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
To be fair that little girl is muzzling the shit out of the little boy in the cover of the video.

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
To be fair that little girl is muzzling the shit out of the little boy in the cover of the video.

Actually I had him stay one step behind her so that wouldn't happen. I know it's hard to tell from the picture but he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NolansMindset

Woodsman
Dec 13, 2016
Indiana
Zip code
I don't think so. I believe she's closer to the camera and not really pointing her pistol at him. Hard to be sure, of course.

You are correct. I had him stay a step back so she didn't point it at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro