HOAs suck!.

Howard Law

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
Damn hoa sent a letter saying they will tow my work van soon, no commercial vehicles allowed apparently in the neighborhood. About to drive around and see how many i can find cause i know I'm not the only one.

karlvv

Legend
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Damn hoa sent a letter saying they will tow my work van soon, no commercial vehicles allowed apparently in the neighborhood. About to drive around and see how many i can find cause i know I'm not the only one.
Do you own or rent?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
A couple women in my neighborhood came by every week for about a month trying to get me to sign a petition to start an HOA in my neighborhood. I politely said absolutely not the first time, by the 4th time, it was What park of FUCK NO o do you not understand?

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
A couple women in my neighborhood came by every week for about a month trying to get me to sign a petition to start an HOA in my neighborhood. I politely said absolutely not the first time, by the 4th time, it was What park of FUCK NO o do you not understand?
I'll never live in one in my own house, mother in law house, heaven forbid they see my dog and they complain about that too.

Matt Ellerbee

The small dicks have it all.
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 26, 2016
Canton
Zip code
Does it have DOT numbers?

Reactions: Mr. Goodbar

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Maybe, it's the tall ass transit van with ladder rack like below except looks like a billboard for the company i work for.

View attachment 49194
Big ass car cover? Would be a pain to take off every day, but maybe a compromise with the HOA.

Freaking HOA's are like short cops... they finally got some damn author-thai and they're hell bent on pushing people around.

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
Big ass car cover? Would be a pain to take off every day, but maybe a compromise with the HOA.

Freaking HOA's are like short cops... they finally got some damn author-thai and they're hell bent on pushing people around.
If that's what i gotta do, I'm sure I'll have another visit from them.

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Fuck an HOA. Worst decision my wife ever talked me into. Glad I am out of it

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
If that's what i gotta do, I'm sure I'll have another visit from them.
I had the exact same van minus the ladder and a different company plastered all.over the sides. It also had a Michigan plate on it. Never got the 1st letter from them about it despite having similar covenant rule. If you can show that the other homes in the neighborhood have "work vehicles" in the driveway, it will not matter because those same residents may be getting letters as well.

Best bet is to politely respond the the letter stating that this is a temporary situation and explain that it is your daily driver vehicle and you cannot park anywhere else. That should appease them.

I never understood how something like this would drive down property values. Supposedly, the covenants are supposed to cover local ordinances imposed by the city and the HOA enforces so the city doesn't have to. I can understand about cutting grass, landscaping and trash cans but not work trucks. It just show to me that there are people who actually have a job living th the house.

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code

Get a copy of the rules and restrictions. Then drive around and document all the violations you can find and take pictures. Submit such report to the HOA and request info if they are doing due diligence for those infractions. If they are not sending letters for other violations like they should. You have the ability to sue the HOA. Records can then be subpoenaed. If they are not doing due diligence to everyone, they can be held accountable and the hoa INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER THE BOARD MEMBERS ATTORNEY COSTs.

Its a pain but I was on a board before and we had to document all violations to cover our asses.

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Oh, you can park on the street in front of house. They do not control county roads. Just your driveway. Might be something to check into. We had rules on trailers but most did not know if attached to truck and parked on street not blocking anyone drive,it was legal/

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I've heard of HOA'a putting liens on property but never heard of a threat to come on your property and take your stuff...WOW!

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Need a copy of the covenants- their particular wording will matter greatly. Little things like "visible" and what exactly they require will make a difference.

this,any way to park outback not visible from street?

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
I had the exact same van minus the ladder and a different company plastered all.over the sides. It also had a Michigan plate on it. Never got the 1st letter from them about it despite having similar covenant rule. If you can show that the other homes in the neighborhood have "work vehicles" in the driveway, it will not matter because those same residents may be getting letters as well.

Best bet is to politely respond the the letter stating that this is a temporary situation and explain that it is your daily driver vehicle and you cannot park anywhere else. That should appease them.

I never understood how something like this would drive down property values. Supposedly, the covenants are supposed to cover local ordinances imposed by the city and the HOA enforces so the city doesn't have to. I can understand about cutting grass, landscaping and trash cans but not work trucks. It just show to me that there are people who actually have a job living th the house.
Oh i know their are other work vehicles in the neighborhood, it's like neighborhoods within neighborhoods, big community

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
Oh, you can park on the street in front of house. They do not control county roads. Just your driveway. Might be something to check into. We had rules on trailers but most did not know if attached to truck and parked on street not blocking anyone drive,it was legal/
Thats what i use to do until my girl got home and then park in the driveway.

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
Oh i know their are other work vehicles in the neighborhood, it's like neighborhoods within neighborhoods, big community
I think I know where you're talking about. If it's where I'm thinking of I hate that fucking place. I used to work for a turf care company and we used to to all of the common areas in that place and that HOA was a major PITA. We'd get called out there on service calls for the dumbest shit.

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
I think I know where you're talking about. If it's where I'm thinking of I hate that fucking place. I used to work for a turf care company and we used to to all of the common areas in that place and that HOA was a major PITA. We'd get called out there on service calls for the dumbest shit.
In acworth

Huddy

Sniper
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Well, my understanding of the covenant is that they can only tow vehicles parked on common properties, which does not include driveways. If you're parked in the driveway and they tow it you may have legal recourse in the form of contract infringement. You could go before the board at the next meeting and attempt to reach some agreement if the situation is temporary, but the process will not be quick and they will claim you've been in violation during the entire process. You may be best served by finding a storage facility nearby and paying for outdoor parking where you can store the van. It sucks having to deal with the HOAs, my wife was on the board at the last house and the petty shit that people waste their time on was infuriating...and they rarely spoke of, or accomplished, anything major. To even speak at a meeting, you have to ask, via written letter, for permission to be given time to address the board...and even then they can deny you. I wish you luck.

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Oh i know, theirs a comcast van 2 houses down from me, i kinda wanna knock on their door and ask if they got a notice too
I would do this. If he didn't get a letter you have evidence of arbitrary enforcement of the covenants. If he was granted a variance to park his in the driveway you have a precedent and can find out what argument he used to convince the board for granting it. Most covenants give the board the right to grant variances.

I actually got on the board of our HOA early on when we moved here. I was not popular with the tyrants in our neighborhood because I would vote in favor of every variance application submitted. I think that's why there was a campaign against me. I'd give those things out like candy at damn Halloween. It was also when I relearned Orwell was right about "some animals are more equal than others".

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
County maintained.

hmmm, maybe I`m wrong but even though they say parking issues included in street,I would check into that. Maybe things have changed since my days. I would not think they could regulate a county road.

Matt Ellerbee

The small dicks have it all.
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 26, 2016
Canton
Zip code

My mom lived in one, in acworth like the OP. Had a flower pot on her mail box, painted with the American flag. Got a letter about that.

Not kidding.

Mr. Goodbar

Tracker
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
If it wasn't my mother in law house then I'd say fuck it. But i don't wanna cause her no problems. I'm going to write a response, give them my situation, and see if something can be worked out.

Reactions: erkinator and Grunk