HK 416 .22lr Review/Thoughts

Howard Law

Sadkins

Hunter
Nov 18, 2014
Springboro Ohio
So, I thought I would share my Christmas gift with the forum. My wife bought me the HK 416 .22lr rifle. I did a lot of research and felt that this was the best one for me. It is an "H&K" built by Walther and imported by Umarex if you can follow all of that. In my research, they are typically selling between $475-$525. I found it on CDNN for $320. Out of the box it is very nice. It has good weight as it is constructed of all metal. Not a bunch of plastic. Good handle and trigger. Everything is where God intended regarding the safty, charging handle, mag release, etc. The only thing I don't like is that the "Bolt release" is Faux and just for show. The front is an all metal quad rail that is a bit sharp to hold and deserves some rubber railgaurds. (I picked up a pack of 12 for $10 and it coveres everything)

I had a cheap red dot at home from an expensive AirSoft gun and threw it on for shits and it actually worked out fairly well. The red dot lines up perfectly with the iron sights and just needed a bit of "dialing in" to land 2" groups at 25 yards with pretty fast shooting. I'm sure it would be much more accurate if I wasn't so excited and burning through rounds.

At the range, it was more than accurate for my skills. I fired 325 rounds without a single FTF or FTE. We did have one round that didn't fire in either rifle so I blame that on a dud round, not the rifle. Great trigger with no slack and a crisp break. Mag was easy to load and solid construction. Only downside is that it only comes with one 20 round mag making for a constant state of reloading. I did order another mag from cheaper than dirt and it should be here tomorrow. The mags are a bit expensive at $30 per but I shouldn't need more than two or three for what I will be doing.

I added an angled foregrip just to try it out. it was only $12 on Amazon so I figured it was worth a shot as I have never used one before. I think I like it but will probably get a Magpul VFG and compare them as I like the VFG on my friend's M&P 22/15.

Overall it love it. It is a good looking, good feeling and good shooting rifle. I will look to get a better scope in the next few weeks but otherwise, it is an amazing rifle. Highly recommend it. IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1344.JPG

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
@Sadkins that is a great looking rifle! Great choice! I owned an HK by Walther MP5-22 clone. Fun gun and very well constructed.

So what was the tipping point for you to select the HK over say the S&W M&P15-22?

Does it take proprietary magazine or does it take the S&W M&P 15-22 mags?

Finally, what ammo did you use for your review? Remington Gold Bullets, CCI Tactical? CCI Stingers, etc.?

Thanks for the review! I've got a few new accessories that I bought me for Christmas that I'm going to review. Plus I've got some really big, cool news to share and LOTS of reviews to share at the end of the month into February and maybe even into March!

Sadkins

Hunter
Nov 18, 2014
Springboro Ohio
@Sadkins that is a great looking rifle! Great choice! I owned an HK by Walther MP5-22 clone. Fun gun and very well constructed.

So what was the tipping point for you to select the HK over say the S&W M&P15-22? I went with the HK for two reasons. First, I couldn't find a bad review on it. Everything was positive from feel, reliability, longevity, and functionality. The second reason was that Kevin is rockin the M&P, so I can have access to either :)

Does it take proprietary magazine or does it take the S&W M&P 15-22 mags? The mags are proprietary to Umarax (the importer). I have read that the Colt AR .22 mags are interchangable and that is imported by Umarax as well.

Finally, what ammo did you use for your review? Remington Gold Bullets, CCI Tactical? CCI Stingers, etc.? I ran Remington Gold the first time out.

Thanks for the review! I've got a few new accessories that I bought me for Christmas that I'm going to review. Plus I've got some really big, cool news to share and LOTS of reviews to share at the end of the month into February and maybe even into March!