Hiking

Howard Law

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am thinking about doing some hiking this year.

Are there any hikers here?

Any good advice for a novice hiker?

I know the basic stuff. Keep the load lite and set a goal, but I am hoping there may be some more detailed info out there. Obviously I have been reading up on different areas of hiking, hopefully there is somebody here that has some knowledge though.

Aug 8, 2015
Acworth, GA
I'm a avid hiker. I try to get out and hike as much as I can. The best advice is have good footwear. Know how far you can hike and how much you can push yourself on the trail. Also, research the trail you plan on hiking before hand so you know the difficulty of it.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Thanks for the info @armedplinkster89

What brand footwear have you had the best luck with. Honestly enough I am almost tempted to wear my work boots, they are very comfortable logger style boot. That are also water proof and a nice yall boot.

Aug 8, 2015
Acworth, GA
Thanks for the info @armedplinkster89

What brand footwear have you had the best luck with. Honestly enough I am almost tempted to wear my work boots, they are very comfortable logger style boot. That are also water proof and a nice yall boot.
I keep changing what brand of footwear I use on the trail. I've got Wellco Shotgun boots that I ordered off of Shoebuy.com and so far I am pleased with them. If your work boots are comfortable, go on a short trail with them and test it out and make sure that it is gonna work.

Reactions: Cudruln

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Hiked pine mountain this weekend. Little 6 mile loop kicked my ass. I've let myself go this past year, new job has me sitting on my ass all day and I've gotten seriously out of shape. I plan hiking pine mountain more often this year so if anyone in the area wants to go hit me up.

Aug 8, 2015
Acworth, GA
Hiked pine mountain this weekend. Little 6 mile loop kicked my ass. I've let myself go this past year, new job has me sitting on my ass all day and I've gotten seriously out of shape. I plan hiking pine mountain more often this year so if anyone in the area wants to go hit me up.
I'm always game for hiking if I ain't working

Reactions: FatAlbert

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

Love the Pine Mtn Trail- the Dowdel's Knob loop is tough. Lot of elevation change. I prefer the loop at the end of the trail. Start at the radio tower and take the loop around. Not as much elevation change as Dowdel's (or however you spell it) and a lot of water around the trail.

I thought I could still walk a long way until I started walking up hill. Nope- I'm not worth a crap anymore. Been working a desk job for a long time and it shows.

Reactions: 1776 and FatAlbert

Staygold

Scout
Nov 20, 2015
Dahlonega
Zip code
Love it! There are some beautiful spots here in North GA. I usually get a 3 day 2 night trip in every spring and fall. It makes a difference for me to get away every now and then.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@FatAlbert @dial1911

Where is pine mountain trail located.

I am thinking of doing a starter hike at sweet water state park. It is not far from the house and seems to have a decent amount of terrain.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
@FatAlbert @dial1911

Where is pine mountain trail located.

I am thinking of doing a starter hike at sweet water state park. It is not far from the house and seems to have a decent amount of terrain.

Pine Mountain Trail... Near Warm Springs (FDR's little white house and Callaway Gardens) The closest big city would be Columbus- although it's about 45 minutes or so north east of Columbus.

Reactions: 1776 and Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Pine Mountain Trail... Near Warm Springs (FDR's little white house and Callaway Gardens) The closest big city would be Columbus- although it's about 45 minutes or so north east of Columbus.
I know about where that's at. Thanks

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I am thinking about doing some hiking this year.

Are there any hikers here?

Any good advice for a novice hiker?

I know the basic stuff. Keep the load lite and set a goal, but I am hoping there may be some more detailed info out there. Obviously I have been reading up on different areas of hiking, hopefully there is somebody here that has some knowledge though.
Are you looking at a day hike or packing a bag and doing a longer several day trek? My wife and I really enjoy going on day hikes. I used to go to the Appalachian trail with friends for a long weekend. There's actually a pretty good app you can try called all trails. We've found several good trails with it.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
@Rwjeter I have actually got into the day hikes. I am getting ready to start planning a multi day hike for next year. Maybe do a short section of the AT. Where do yall normally hike at?

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Sweetwater in Douglasville is good for a day hike, we do Kennesaw some, (the first time we messed up hiked all the way from Cheatham Hill to the mountain top.... Tired Ass....) There's a really cool place near Columbus called Providence canyon that's well worth the drive. Look out up for sure.