Hiking the Bartram Trail

Howard Law
Oct 30, 2016
Woodstock,Ga
Zip code
Every October our family spends a week in Sky Valley, GA, just outside of Dillard. Last year my son and I parked at Beegum Gap and walked up to the top of Rabun Bald, the second highest peak in Georgia. While we were at the top of the mountain I noticed a trail marker that pointed towards War Woman Dell 15 miles further down the trail.

Over the summer, I read up on the trail. It is just a small portion of the Bartram Trail that starts in Georgia and runs up through the Carolinas. http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/bartram_trail

This year, my wife and daughter dropped me off at War Woman Dell on a Wednesday morning and met me at the Beegum Gap parking area the next day. Due to the drought there was a restriction on campfires. Also, the creeks where I was supposed to be able to refill water were dried up. The waterfall on Martin's Creek at about 3.5 miles in was the last water to be found until the next day. I hiked in 10.5 miles the first day and set up camp, leaving a short but steep 5.5 miles for the next day.

I use a Camelbak Fourteener 24 and Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag for carrying my gear. Sleep in a Hennessy Hammock with the light weight sleeping bag from a military sleep system.

It's a beautiful, very solitary hike. I didn't see any other hikers on the first day, and only ran into a few people on my way down from Rabun Bald to Beegum Gap the next morning.

I'll upload a couple of pictures from my phone in this thread.

Reactions: the_great_white

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Looks like a great hike. I am lazy what part of Georgia is that? Also how do you like that chest rig?

Reactions: OttoCracker14
Oct 30, 2016
Woodstock,Ga
Zip code
Looks like a great hike. I am lazy what part of Georgia is that? Also how do you like that chest rig?

From Atlanta take I85 North to 985 North. 985 ends and turns into a highway, but you just stay on this road. About 10-15 miles before crossing into Franklin, NC you will reach the small town of Clayton. Hang a right at the light, then a right on Warwoman Road. The Dell parking is on the right. There is no camping at the parking area, but you can leave your car over night.

I really like the HPG rig. It is an easy way to carry a large pistol without everyone freaking out. I carry a CZ Phantom 9mm. I keep an emergency poncho, compass, Rite in the Rain note pad, and granola bars in the front pocket. The Maxpedition pouch holds a flashlight, pen, and my phone.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5/Default.aspx

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
From Atlanta take I85 North to 985 North. 985 ends and turns into a highway, but you just stay on this road. About 10-15 miles before crossing into Franklin, NC you will reach the small town of Clayton. Hang a right at the light, then a right on Warwoman Road. The Dell parking is on the right. There is no camping at the parking area, but you can leave your car over night.

I really like the HPG rig. It is an easy way to carry a large pistol without everyone freaking out. I carry a CZ Phantom 9mm. I keep an emergency poncho, compass, Rite in the Rain note pad, and granola bars in the front pocket. The Maxpedition pouch holds a flashlight, pen, and my phone.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/5/Default.aspx
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Looks like a good time to me. That's a good idea with your chest rig too. I can dig it. I miss overnight hiking. Since I've got married and a daughter we have to stick to day hikes. Although some of those day hikes have been a little longer than expected.... We went to Kennesaw mountain for the first time and here is my Fitbit report.... Screenshot_2015-05-02-18-43-02.png
Dead ass! Lol. We stopped by Stevie B's and ate so much pizza on the way home. Lol