Help me pick a holster

Faktory 47

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I love my crossbreed holsters, but here I am carrying my backup because my EDC holster is back at Crossbreed having the kydex replaced for the 3rd time. Crossbreed always takes care of things, but I'd rather just not have to worry about it in the future. I think I want to get away from kydex in general.

Who are ya'll using for good quality leather holsters? I'd like to have something for a 1911, one to comfortably conceal a P365 and then maybe something for the Beretta M9A3.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I love my crossbreed holsters, but here I am carrying my backup because my EDC holster is back at Crossbreed having the kydex replaced for the 3rd time. Crossbreed always takes care of things, but I'd rather just not have to worry about it in the future. I think I want to get away from kydex in general.

Who are ya'll using for good quality leather holsters? I'd like to have something for a 1911, one to comfortably conceal a P365 and then maybe something for the Beretta M9A3.

The only leather I will buy is from Adam’s holsters.

He’s 24+ weeks out for delivery though. His work is well worth the wait.

Reactions: dial1911

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Theis holsters is my go to. I run the hybrid holster (leather back, kydex outer) have ran the same holster for some years now and still in great shape.

I stated a holster thread awhile back, I will look and see what brand was recommended. But do not go with them as they where absolute shit. I had to modify them just to work properly.

Reactions: Willy Leadwell

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Theis holsters is my go to. I run the hybrid holster (leather back, kydex outer) have ran the same holster for some years now and still in great shape.

I stated a holster thread awhile back, I will look and see what brand was recommended. But do not go with them as they where absolute shit. I had to modify them just to work properly.
I want to get away from Kydex. I'm on my third round of sending holsters back to Crossbreed because of cracked kydex. This time it was bad. And I'm not even that fat yet. As I get fatter, I can only imagine that it will continue to become more of a problem. I'm looking to try out a good quality, fully leather holster.

Reactions: Cudruln

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I'm not knocking Crossbreed, they definitely stand behind their stuff, but this has been a recurring problem with more than one of their holsters. View attachment 115458

Well fuck. I have one for a pm9 that I quit using after 2 years due to back pain. (Carried at 430). Other than sweat stains on the leather, I had no issues. I carry OWB, and pocket exclusively now. Iwb has never been comfortable. Yes I’m fat! Shut up.

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Woodstock/Acworth
Zip code
I'm not knocking Crossbreed, they definitely stand behind their stuff, but this has been a recurring problem with more than one of their holsters. View attachment 115458

I had the same issue with a few different brands of hybrid holsters. I switched to all kydex and haven't had another issue with it. IMO hybrid holsters(especially once the leather gets broken in) flex more than kydex should be allowed to flex. If you take a piece of plastic and constantly bend it in the same spot it's going to weaken before it eventually cracks. I really love how comfortable hybrid holsters are but they just don't hold up over time.

Reactions: Grunk and lesptr

Grunk

Spitting out pieces of my broken luck
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Looks like they have one for all my preferred pistols. Looks like good stuff. I may give them a try.
I've got a horsehide Milt Sparks VM2 for a 1911 I've had & carried A LOT since 97 or 98. Still going strong with only the minimal maintenance of a periodic cost of Renaissance Wax. I've got 3 or 4 other of their holsters I've carried less. but all are top quality & I've never had any problem with them.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've got a horsehide Milt Sparks VM2 for a 1911 I've had & carried A LOT since 97 or 98. Still going strong with only the minimal maintenance of a periodic cost of Renaissance Wax. I've got 3 or 4 other of their holsters I've carried less. but all are top quality & I've never had any problem with them.
That's what I want. Something that will outlive me. Maybe one of my sons will carry it. Or keep it as a memento of a time when Americans were allowed to carry guns.

Reactions: Grunk

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
That's what I want. Something that will outlive me. Maybe one of my sons will carry it. Or keep it as a memento of a time when Americans were allowed to carry guns.

Luke Adam’s work will certainly do that. But it’s not quick.

• Love

Grunk

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Luke Adam’s work will certainly do that. But it’s not quick.

Looks great! Milt Sparks backlog looks like it's running 18 weeks. When I dealt with them in the 90s, Tony Kanaley (who worked for Milt Sparks himself & took over when he passed) was running about a 5 man shop. I remember him saying he was looking to add people but having a hard time finding people who wanted to put in the time & effort to learn to do it right.

@Willy Leadwell, they do have some authorized dealers that they provide holsters for their most popular pistols to, Names & Phone #'s on the bottom of the LINKS page of the website. I got lucky a time or two in the early 2000s & one of them had what I wanted in stock, no waiting.

Milt Sparks Holsters

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Looks great! Milt Sparks backlog looks like it's running 18 weeks. When I dealt with them in the 90s, Tony Kanaley (who worked for Milt Sparks himself & took over when he passed) was running about a 5 man shop. I remember him saying he was looking to add people but having a hard time finding people who wanted to put in the time & effort to learn to do it right.

@Willy Leadwell, they do have some authorized dealers that they provide holsters for their most popular pistols to, Names & Phone #'s on the bottom of the LINKS page of the website.

Milt Sparks Holsters
Yeah, looks like top gun supply has just about all the ones I would want in stock. I may try one and see how I like it before I order $700 worth of holsters...

• Love

Grunk

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Yeah, looks like top gun supply has just about all the ones I would want in stock. I may try one and see how I like it before I order $700 worth of holsters...
If you don't like it, they used to resell real fast on Gunbroker. I haven't looked in years though.

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
1911 holster right here.

Tanker for the win!

TKIM on ODT had some BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL work but it was way out of my price range.

He moved away from GA but not sure where he is now.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I've used this one with both 1911s and G19s, but they have variants for different sized weapons. It's a DeSantis Cozy Partner (I think).

uploadfromtaptalk1610599131508.jpg

Leshaire

Ninja
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
IMO Kydex is king. Crossbread is NOT though. I've seen both 0.06" and 0.08" thickness kydex out of their shop. 0.06 is garbage and should never ever be used. 0.08 is pretty standard. If you're beating up standard index like that BUT do like kydex, I would suggest finding someone that offers 0.93" kydex. Most of your name brand holster makers use it by default for anything OWB, but it wouldn't be abnormal to make a IWB out of it. It is significantly stronger and should last you much much longer. I would prefer that looooong before going to leather personally.

Side note I have seen 0.125 as well but have heard it is SO thick that you don't get as much definition or definitive snap in and out of the holster. Although that was a few years ago so they may be doing better by now. Watching this video and even 0.125 seems nice

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
IMO Kydex is king. Crossbread is NOT though. I've seen both 0.06" and 0.08" thickness kydex out of their shop. 0.06 is garbage and should never ever be used. 0.08 is pretty standard. If you're beating up standard index like that BUT do like kydex, I would suggest finding someone that offers 0.93" kydex. Most of your name brand holster makers use it by default for anything OWB, but it wouldn't be abnormal to make a IWB out of it. It is significantly stronger and should last you much much longer. I would prefer that looooong before going to leather personally.

Side note I have seen 0.125 as well but have heard it is SO thick that you don't get as much definition or definitive snap in and out of the holster. Although that was a few years ago so they may be doing better by now. Watching this video and even 0.125 seems nice
Thanks. I didn't realize this. You'd think they'd get tired of warranty repairs and up their game a little bit.

I can't find anywhere Crossbreed states the thickness they use. Which is usually not a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leshaire and lesptr