Help me decide on a shotgun

Howard Law

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I am looking to buy my first, well technically second I suppose, shotgun and need your help! Lets start with my intentions. I want to shoot clays from a clay throwing device. I think this is referred to as 'trap'? I suppose I need a 26-28" barrel, I would prefer 12 gauge since its cheap and plentiful, and from what I understand about chokes I want either an open choke or an improved cylinder choke. I need to verify these items and buy something before Saturday! Oh and I also want to talk sights as I remember one day @Laufen was talking about different shotgun sights and how they are intended for different types of shooting.

My thought was to go with a Remington 870 Wingmaster, or even the Stoeger STF 3000. I really like the wood look. I do NOT want to spend an ass load of money on my first one. Keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
870 or 500 will do fine, they are inexpensive and you can pop a shorter barrel on if you feel the need.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I got nothing, I only have tactical shotguns. My guess would be that a Remington or a Mossburg would be your budget, entry level shotguns.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I am looking to buy my first, well technically second I suppose, shotgun and need your help! Lets start with my intentions. I want to shoot clays from a clay throwing device. I think this is referred to as 'trap'? I suppose I need a 26-28" barrel, I would prefer 12 gauge since its cheap and plentiful, and from what I understand about chokes I want either an open choke or an improved cylinder choke. I need to verify these items and buy something before Saturday! Oh and I also want to talk sights as I remember one day @Laufen was talking about different shotgun sights and how they are intended for different types of shooting.

My thought was to go with a Remington 870 Wingmaster, or even the Stoeger STF 3000. I really like the wood look. I do NOT want to spend an ass load of money on my first one. Keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance.
For formal trap shooting most guys go with a much tighter choke, and a trap specific shotgun. The rise in the comb of the stock will be different from a field gun or sporting clays gun because with trap, your target is rising. Shooting a rising target requires that a larger percentage of the shot goes above the centerline of the bore than below (field guns are 50/50 ratio, trap is usually 60/40). The reason for this is that you need a built in lead, and the target is going away from you and rising. If you aim at the target, you'll hit low, if you lead your target...you won't be able to see it, and that's not a very consistent manner of shooting. If you're shooting informally, a field gun will be fine but you'll never realize your full potential. Also, the high comb on the trap gun makes it very uncomfortable to shoulder quickly for skeet, sporting clays, or hunting....you'll beat the everlasting shit out of your cheek bone. You start with the gun shouldered in trap..not so with sporting clays or hunting obviously.

It depends on how "trap specific" you want to be and if you want the compromise of a dual use shotgun.

A lot of guys say "trap shooting" when they are actually talking about shooting a variety of target presentations...crossing, overhead, going away, etc...like a typical sporting clays course or field situation.\

Longer barrels swing more smoothly, shorter are faster swinging. Trap guys prefer 28 on the low end to 32" Sporting Clays 26"-28" typically.

Reactions: Snewt1

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
28" seems to be the sweet spot for me. If you're going to do different kinds of shooting, interchangeable chokes are a must have. I prefer the improved cylinder choke for sporting clays and may go to modified for 5-stand.

I've had many and I don't think there's much that can beat the old Remington 1100s. I have one of those and a beretta AL390 sporting that you're welcome to use this weekend so you're not in a rush to make an uninformed decision. They're both 28" and both can be had for $400-$600

I like sporting clays and 5 stand and prefer the 1100.

Last edited:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Unless Stoeger has changed their design, they're extremely long in the wrist and you need to have NBA player hands to get a proper purchase on the gun.

Last edited:

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
28" seems to be the sweet spot for me. If you're going to do different kinds of shooting, interchangeable chokes are a must have.

I've had many and I don't think there's much that can beat the old Remington 1100s. I have one of those and a beretta AL390 that you're welcome to use this weekend so you're not in a rush to make an uninformed decision. They're both 28" and both can be had for $400-$600

The 390's and newer/ thinner 391's are super soft shooting. That's my choice for a sporting or field shotgun for sure.

Reactions: Willy Leadwell

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
The 390's and newer/ thinner 391's are super soft shooting. That's my choice for a sporting or field shotgun for sure.
I really feel like the 1100 shoots softer/smoother than the 390, but they're very comparable. I've certainly never seen the need to go spend $1,500-$2,000 on a shotgun that gets pulled out a couple times a year, although I do really want to own an A400 at some point.

Reactions: Laufen

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
You should look into a Benelli Nova as well. I love mine. Kinda kills the wood look though. But as far as shooting on the fly I prefer the tang safety on my 500 to a cross-bolt. Those are my pump suggestions. I have a Yildiz and Stoeger side by side, they're both great shooters. Once you decide to invest a little more look at the Benelli M2 for an auto loader. If you have some free time we'll try to meet up and bust some clays. You can shoot all of mine and see what's best.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I also love my beretta 390. It is super reliable even with light 2-3/4 loads. I don't think I would go for a pump gun if it's just a sporting gun.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
You should look into a Benelli Nova as well. I love mine. Kinda kills the wood look though. But as far as shooting on the fly I prefer the tang safety on my 500 to a cross-bolt. Those are my pump suggestions. I have a Yildiz and Stoeger side by side, they're both great shooters. Once you decide to invest a little more look at the Benelli M2 for an auto loader. If you have some free time we'll try to meet up and bust some clays. You can shoot all of mine and see what's best.
The downside for clays is that it's a pump, and it's a 3.5" gun...long stroke and clunky. They're great for waterfowl and turkeys though.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
For formal trap shooting most guys go with a much tighter choke, and a trap specific shotgun. The rise in the comb of the stock will be different from a field gun or sporting clays gun because with trap, your target is rising. Shooting a rising target requires that a larger percentage of the shot goes above the centerline of the bore than below (field guns are 50/50 ratio, trap is usually 60/40). The reason for this is that you need a built in lead, and the target is going away from you and rising. If you aim at the target, you'll hit low, if you lead your target...you won't be able to see it, and that's not a very consistent manner of shooting. If you're shooting informally, a field gun will be fine but you'll never realize your full potential. Also, the high comb on the trap gun makes it very uncomfortable to shoulder quickly for skeet, sporting clays, or hunting....you'll beat the everlasting shit out of your cheek bone. You start with the gun shouldered in trap..not so with sporting clays or hunting obviously.

It depends on how "trap specific" you want to be and if you want the compromise of a dual use shotgun.

A lot of guys say "trap shooting" when they are actually talking about shooting a variety of target presentations...crossing, overhead, going away, etc...like a typical sporting clays course or field situation.\

Longer barrels swing more smoothly, shorter are faster swinging. Trap guys prefer 28 on the low end to 32" Sporting Clays 26"-28" typically.

Ok going to reply in underlined text bc I have questions.

For formal trap shooting most guys go with a much tighter choke, and a trap specific shotgun. The rise in the comb of the stock will be different from a field gun or sporting clays gun because with trap, your target is rising.
Is this the angle up/down of the cheek wield on the stock?

Shooting a rising target requires that a larger percentage of the shot goes above the centerline of the bore than below (field guns are 50/50 ratio, trap is usually 60/40).
Most of the guns Ive looked at dont appear to specify, is this expected? Maybe I should dig deeper.

The reason for this is that you need a built in lead, and the target is going away from you and rising. If you aim at the target, you'll hit low, if you lead your target...you won't be able to see it, and that's not a very consistent manner of shooting.
So what is the solution here? Youre saying go with a trap specific gun?

If you're shooting informally, a field gun will be fine but you'll never realize your full potential. Also, the high comb on the trap gun makes it very uncomfortable to shoulder quickly for skeet, sporting clays, or hunting....you'll beat the everlasting shit out of your cheek bone. You start with the gun shouldered in trap..not so with sporting clays or hunting obviously.
It will just be friends and I at this place, so informal yes, but I dont want to set myself up for failure of course. What is the difference between trap and sporting clays? I thought sporting clays was just a way of referencing skeet or trap interchangeably.

A lot of guys say "trap shooting" when they are actually talking about shooting a variety of target presentations...crossing, overhead, going away, etc...like a typical sporting clays course or field situation.
Im talking about a clay thrower close by, shooting them away from me at different angles.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
One of the last times I shot clays was at my buddy's wedding rehearsal dinner. He's friends with the owner of a club in Valdosta and had free reign of the place for the day. We went straight free-for-all on the 5-stand after dinner. I easily shot 600+ rounds out of my 1100 that evening and didn't even have marks on my shoulder the next day.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
28" seems to be the sweet spot for me. If you're going to do different kinds of shooting, interchangeable chokes are a must have. I prefer the improved cylinder choke for sporting clays and may go to modified for 5-stand.

I've had many and I don't think there's much that can beat the old Remington 1100s. I have one of those and a beretta AL390 sporting that you're welcome to use this weekend so you're not in a rush to make an uninformed decision. They're both 28" and both can be had for $400-$600

As of now I will be using the gun this saturday then again on the 28th of April, both for the same type of shooting. So for now I think I can get away without buying a bunch of chokes.

I might actually take you up on that. Youre kinda far from me but it might be worth the drive to get a little test in before making a purchase.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Ok going to reply in underlined text bc I have questions.

For formal trap shooting most guys go with a much tighter choke, and a trap specific shotgun. The rise in the comb of the stock will be different from a field gun or sporting clays gun because with trap, your target is rising.
Is this the angle up/down of the cheek wield on the stock?

Shooting a rising target requires that a larger percentage of the shot goes above the centerline of the bore than below (field guns are 50/50 ratio, trap is usually 60/40).
Most of the guns Ive looked at dont appear to specify, is this expected? Maybe I should dig deeper.

The reason for this is that you need a built in lead, and the target is going away from you and rising. If you aim at the target, you'll hit low, if you lead your target...you won't be able to see it, and that's not a very consistent manner of shooting.
So what is the solution here? Youre saying go with a trap specific gun?

If you're shooting informally, a field gun will be fine but you'll never realize your full potential. Also, the high comb on the trap gun makes it very uncomfortable to shoulder quickly for skeet, sporting clays, or hunting....you'll beat the everlasting shit out of your cheek bone. You start with the gun shouldered in trap..not so with sporting clays or hunting obviously.
It will just be friends and I at this place, so informal yes, but I dont want to set myself up for failure of course. What is the difference between trap and sporting clays? I thought sporting clays was just a way of referencing skeet or trap interchangeably.

A lot of guys say "trap shooting" when they are actually talking about shooting a variety of target presentations...crossing, overhead, going away, etc...like a typical sporting clays course or field situation.
Im talking about a clay thrower close by, shooting them away from me at different angles.

Sporting clays is where you move from station to station shooting two targets at each station not knowing where they're going to be thrown from. So you end up shooting different angles and distances. It's kinda like the golf course of shooting sports.

Reactions: Snewt1

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Unless Stoeger has changed their design, they're extremely long in the wrist and you need to have NBA player hands to get a proper purchase on the gun.
LOL well im 6'4" with hands to match so it might not be the end of the world. A little research shows those Stoegers are pretty low end and they dont even have them on their website... Also everyone complains the actions are insanely tight...