Econ Gun stocks

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Excuse my ignorance never heard of Olin, who are they?

For the people who understand the stock market, are gun manufacturers safe, unsafe, or could go either way?

I see it as they could be great whenever there is a scare and their sales jump, but potentially could plummet depending on what laws are passed. Is that accurate?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

For the people who understand the stock market, are gun manufacturers safe, unsafe, or could go either way?

I see it as they could be great whenever there is a scare and their sales jump, but potentially could plummet depending on what laws are passed. Is that accurate?

Pretty much the largest ammo manufacturer in the country. Look at any box of american ammo you have, chances are it will say Olin on it.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Pretty much the largest ammo manufacturer in the country. Look at any box of american ammo you have, chances are it will say Olin on it.

Thank you, I have never paid that much attention to ammo manufacturers. That is good to know though. I've been tossing around the idea of getting into some stocks mostly as a way to learn how it all works and guns are about the only market I follow close enough to make reasonable choices. Maybe I'll try and pick up some shares of each.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

It depends on the company. Things I'd look at are their dividend rate, cash on hand, leadership, historical trading range, effect of possible legislation on cash flow, dependence on gov contracts, etc.

Reactions: AtlMedic

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
It depends on the company. Things I'd look at are their dividend rate, cash on hand, leadership, historical trading range, effect of possible legislation on cash flow, dependence on gov contracts, etc.

That's kinda why I'm thinking of buying some gun company stocks. I have a better understanding of the gun industry then I do about oil or pigs or technology.

I'd love if there were a website that you could fake buy stocks to see how you would do and learn how to follow the market. I have a 401k but I leave it alone, I'd like a better understanding of the stock market but don't have enough spare cash to invest much and I learn better by doing rather than just reading.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
That's kinda why I'm thinking of buying some gun company stocks. I have a better understanding of the gun industry then I do about oil or pigs or technology.

I'd love if there were a website that you could fake buy stocks to see how you would do and learn how to follow the market. I have a 401k but I leave it alone, I'd like a better understanding of the stock market but don't have enough spare cash to invest much and I learn better by doing rather than just reading.

http://ninjatrader.com/LP/Adword/Tr...ource=google&gclid=CP-3mZ7zwM0CFdgUgQod338BPQ

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

Just paper trade for a while. Pick some stocks, set a budget, and "buy" them at their current value simply by writing the share price and number of shares on paper.
Do a little reading on market indicators like MACD and RSI's, learn how they work and use them as an intro into learning about market movements.

Zero risk.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

http://www.investopedia.com/simulator/

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Been watching SWHC for the past 2 weeks... decided to finally jump on board. Bought 20 shares. See what it does now. I have a reverse Midas Touch when it comes to stocks....

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Been watching SWHC for the past 2 weeks... decided to finally jump on board. Bought 20 shares. See what it does now. I have a reverse Midas Touch when it comes to stocks....
Just keep a close eye on it. There's a bit of momentum, but......................

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code

Olin produces all of the Winchester ammo out there and has for decades, even before Western ammo was labeled Winchester. My dad said back in the 60's/70's they had a Nilo Plantation in South GA where all the big wigs of Winchester and Olin would go to hunt quail and other game. Olin also owned Winchester Arms for a while. Winchester has been passed around like a frat house whore; hasn't been owned by the Winchester family since the 1930's. Browning, Olin, FNH, etc...

200_s.gif

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
True. Like I said, I have the anti-Midas touch when it comes to stocks.
No, now don't say that. You'll set yourself up for failure. Just figure out how long you want to stay in S&W, and watch the appropriate charts. You'll do just fine.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
No, now don't say that. You'll set yourself up for failure. Just figure out how long you want to stay in S&W, and watch the appropriate charts. You'll do just fine.

I usually buy stocks and never sell them. That's probably a problem.