Gun cleaning kits, supplies, solvents...

Howard Law

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
What are y'all using? I've had a cheap ass Hoppes cleaning kit forever and some generic CLP that I've been using. I'm looking to get a nicer kit with some quality tools to make things easier.

At the last IV8888 shoot I got some Breakthrough Clean Technologies solvents and grease and some Geissele Go-Juice. They seem to work really well, I can't tell a huge difference in performance over traditional CLP but the Geissele Go-Juice and Breakthrough Battle Born Grease seems to last longer than the CLP on frame rails, contact points, etc.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Guns dont need cleaning. Just run em until they quit and buy something new. I bought one of the big otis kits for 130 bucks. It has everything I need for every gun I own. Clp works fine.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have a bunch of different stuff. Usually use whatever I happen to grab out of the ammo can I store them in. I can’t tell much difference between any of them.

For cleaning though I have this squeegee thing that is awesome. One pull through the barrel and it pulls all the gunk out instead of using a bunch of the little pads.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Plenty of cheap micro fiber towels, Sweets 7.62 for solvent, Slip2000 extreme weapons lube and ALG 0000 very thin grease for lube, Dewey cleaning rods and a set of Tipton brushes and jags. Also some bore snakes for in between cleanings. That's mainly what I keep around.

CLP is fine of you live under a bridge and don't have access to real copper/lead cutting solvent and lube.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
For grease I use Mobil 1 synthetic, the grease that comes in a tube for loading automotive grease guns.

For cleaner and oil, I mix my own.

CLEANER
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF
1 part kerosene, deodorized K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (odorless mineral spirits, Stoddard Solvent, Varsol)
1 part Acetone
Optional: up to 1lb Lanolin Anhydrous, USP, per gallon. Ok to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant

LUBE
2 quarts synthetic motor oil
1 quart automatic transmission fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.
1 bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
1 7oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

For rifle bores I use Montana Xtreme Copper Killer. I have a spreadsheet I send out to my students with all the cleaning equipment I recommend for my Precision Rifle courses, I can share it if you like.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
For grease I use Mobil 1 synthetic, the grease that comes in a tube for loading automotive grease guns.

CLEANER
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (odorless mineral spirits, Stoddard Solvent, Varsol)
1 part Acetone
Optional: up to 1lb Lanolin Anhydrous, USP, per gallon. Ok to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant

LUBE
1 7oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

For rifle bores I use Montana Xtreme Copper Killer. I have a spreadsheet I send out to my students with all the cleaning equipment I recommend for my Precision Rifle courses, I can share it if you like.

You baking a cake?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

CLEANER
1 part Acetone

LUBE
1 7oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

You have now been dubbed the Mad Scientist, lol...I'd love to see a spreadsheet with some cleaning equipment.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
You have now been dubbed the Mad Scientist, lol...I'd love to see a spreadsheet with some cleaning equipment.

I didn’t come up with those myself, just stole the recipes. Google “Ed’s Red” and you’ll find them, been around a long time.

The cleaning solvent works decently. It’s cheap enough that it’s my go-to; I can make a gallon for under $10.

The lube/oil is as good or better than anything I’ve ever used. I’ve used it on everything from revolvers to belt-feds. I think a gallon cost me less than $30. Can’t think of many folks that need a gallon of gun lube; split it with 3 buddies, you each get a quart for around $7.50. As a matter of fact, anytime one of y’all is over at my shop ask for some. I’ve got more mixed up than I’ll ever need. Bring your own bottle.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I didn’t come up with those myself, just stole the recipes. Google “Ed’s Red” and you’ll find them, been around a long time.

The cleaning solvent works decently. It’s cheap enough that it’s my go-to; I can make a gallon for under $10.

The lube/oil is as good or better than anything I’ve ever used. I’ve used it on everything from revolvers to belt-feds. I think a gallon cost me less than $30. Can’t think of many folks that need a gallon of gun lube; split it with 3 buddies, you each get a quart for around $7.50. As a matter of fact, anytime one of y’all is over at my shop ask for some. I’ve got more mixed up than I’ll ever need. Bring your own bottle.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I buy in ounces, not gallons, lol. I got several different brands of these little .5oz sample size tubes of different CLP's, Greases and solvents at the past two IV8888 shoots and I haven't bought anything since. One of these little .5oz tubes will usually last me a couple months, but I don't go shooting nearly as often as I used to.

20180726_095805.jpg

I just ordered a 12cc syringe of Breakthrough Clean Battle Born Grease. I like that stuff the best for frame rails and contact points because it stays where I put it and I can tell a significant difference using it vs CLP on my CZ SP-01 which has full length frame(well, I guess slide) rails.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Yeah, I was gonna say, I buy in ounces, not gallons, lol. I got several different brands of these little .5oz sample size tubes of different CLP's, Greases and solvents at the past two IV8888 shoots and I haven't bought anything since. One of these little .5oz tubes will usually last me a couple months, but I don't go shooting nearly as often as I used to.

View attachment 40441

I just ordered a 12cc syringe of Breakthrough Clean Battle Born Grease. I like that stuff the best for frame rails and contact points because it stays where I put it and I can tell a significant difference using it vs CLP on my CZ SP-01 which has full length frame(well, I guess slide) rails.

Biodegradable?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I make sure to use Tipton brass brushes and jags for my rifles. And a carbon fiber Tipton cleaning rod. Just because I'm trying to be as "friendly" as I can to the rifle bores. I like Hoppes Benchrest for the rifles because it is a copper solvent. Regular #9 isn't.

Pistols... whatever I have on hand. I still use an old Hoppes rod from one of their cheap cleaning kits. Pistols get cleaned with Hoppes #9, lubed with a light oil. I do occasionally spray some CLP on the slides/barrels.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
It naturally breaks down over time.

Right, but I'm just wondering if there's any advantages/disadvantages to it being biodegradable.

I had a little bit of spare time this morning so I took my LCP II apart and looked at it. It's been about 2 months since I've cleaned or shot it and the barrel and a few small parts that I used that CLP on was pretty much dry. The frame rails that I used the Breakthrough Battle Born Grease on was still exactly where I put it. It was a little bit dirty from pocket lint/dust but it wiped right off and I put some more on it. I guess that's one down side to the grease is it attracts/holds a lot more of that kind of stuff. It's easy enough to wipe off and reapply though and it doesn't run and get everywhere unlike the CLP.

Reactions: dial1911