This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Got a new project, 1980 something Kawasaki X2

Discussion in 'Fishing & Boating Talk' started by Leshaire, May 3, 2017.

1. Leshaire

Leshaire Tactical Operator
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

For any of you that dont know, I like to ride jetskis and crap. They are fun to work on and fun to ride, plus I live right by the lake. I currently have a 99 SuperJet and a 96 WaveRunner. But I am always scanning craigslist for deals. I found this gem on CL for $300 not running but "Only needing a battery and plugs". I showed up with a battery and fresh plugs and it didnt turn over so I offered $50. SOLD

I got it home and pulled the battery, tank and flywheel cover assuming the bendix was seized, being that I could hear the starter turning it, but not engaging the flywheel. Sure enough, its rusted closed. Ordered a bendix for $17.95 and some plugs for under $5.

A few days go by and my bendix showed up so I decided to start tinkering again. I stripped the stickers off and degreased the dirt filled grime around them, pulled the motor out only to find the block is full of oil and grime and crap.

So tonight/tomorrow my next steps are to:
    1. Fill the block with premixed gas and manually turn it for a few mins
    2. Drain the block
    3. Pull the crank case and inspect the crank, bearings, seals, and wrist pins.
    4. Clean the rest of the reeds and surrounding
    5. Order what needs replacing
    6. Buy a compression tester. Been needing one for a hot minute.

Should be a battery ($85) and carb rebuild kit ($35). Im hoping to have it up and running for around $250 or less, BUT that could go drastically up if I need a crank and or top end. A full motor gasket kit is only $65 which is looking likely at this point, and bearing seals ($15) are more than likely going to be a must. Top end kit is $200, hoping to not need pistons and or rings. Either way. I'll update as I make progress. Oh and I plan to paint it lol. That green is fugly.

GOAL: Get out on the lake and have some fun!

IMG_2007.JPG
    2017-05-02 (2).jpg
    2017-05-02.jpg
    2017-05-02 (3).jpg

#1 Leshaire, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Leshaire

I dont have a recent pic but heres an idea of what the paint looks like under all those BS stickers.

1234.jpg
    12345.jpg

3. EugenFJR

EugenFJR Army SDM
    Lifetime Supporter Trusted Trader

Looking at that engine, gave me syphilis. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

1776 likes this.
  4. Leshaire

It'll be alright lmao. Just needs a good cleaning and maybe a crank, seals, bearings and a few gaskets. Hell I had a couple other 80's two strokes that looked equally as terrible (on the outside) that ran just fine.

5. Huddy

Huddy Frontiersman
    Trusted Trader

That green is better than the teal and Violet on the other...

6. Leshaire

Thats my wife's. Mine is black.

[​IMG]

7. Leshaire

Ok so I filled up the block with premix last night and cycled the engine manually for about 5 minutes, drained it, did it again, and again. The first time the gas came out like dirty lake water. It was pretty bad. The next two times were just as clean as when the fuel went in. It was raining and dark so I couldnt listen to the crank or get a good look inside, so I will do those tonight. But overall it felt smooth and other than needing a few gaskets, I am not 100% what all I will need to get it running half decent. Should know more tonight.

Anyone else here work on any small engine stuff? A lot of this is new to me.

8. TattooedGunner

TattooedGunner Tracker
    Trusted Trader

In for updates. I find stuff like this cool.

Leshaire likes this.
  9. Willy Leadwell

Willy Leadwell Purveyor of Polyurethane
    Lifetime Supporter Trusted Trader

I tinker with just about anything that has wheels or an engine/motor.