Google Alexa

Howard Law

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
This Christmas one of the gifts I received was one of these new Echo Dot Amazon devices that responds to voice commands to play music, audio books, send messages, control other devices, etc.
To put it mildly, I'm not a fan of such devices. I have even disabled the Google app on my phones as it is nothing but a spy/data collection program with ears. I haven't even taken the Echo out the box and I'll either return it or smash it with a hammer at some point.

Just wondering what others think of these things and what experience you've had.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Yeah... don't have one... and the family and and friends know better than to give us one.

I'd probably try to sell or trade the table top spy bug.

Reactions: Kobayashi

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code
Yup. My wife and I were discussing getting a new vacuum one evening...next morning, I had Hoover, Dyson, and Bissell ads on FB and websites. My phone was sitting on the coffee table in standby mode (locked screen).
After that, I tried it again and just said "I need a new drill"...a few times. The next day- DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Makita ads.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Yup. My wife and I were discussing getting a new vacuum one evening...next morning, I had Hoover, Dyson, and Bissell ads on FB and websites. My phone was sitting on the coffee table in standby mode (locked screen).
After that, I tried it again and just said "I need a new drill"...a few times. The next day- DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Makita ads.

...holy shit... I will have to try this today at home.

Reactions: scand

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I would only ever have something like that if it could communicate with things in my home but not connect to the internet.

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I got one and use it regularly. If you think that's the only way the government is keeping tabs on you, than I am sorry. Even disabling your Google on your phone would not stop them if they want to listen in. How often do you use your debit card?

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Yeah, it hears what your watching on tv and listens to your conversations to create a profile about you to sell to advertisers. I don’t think we can stop what’s happening, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to bring it upon myself willingly. I’m already irritated that google and Facebook sell me to advertisers based on my browsing history. And it’s fucking annoying constantly seeing ads for shit I already bought.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I got one and use it regularly. If you think that's the only way the government is keeping tabs on you, than I am sorry. Even disabling your Google on your phone would not stop them if they want to listen in. How often do you use your debit card?
The government is an entirely different subject. I'm talking more about Amazon and Google, relationships that are voluntary. With a smart phone I'm giving up privacy for functionality, and the trade off is getting less acceptable over time. On some phones and newer versions of android the Google app can't be disabled without rooting the phone. Try turning off the "hey google" function on your phone. It can't be done without disabling the Google app.

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This Christmas one of the gifts I received was one of these new Echo Dot Amazon devices that responds to voice commands to play music, audio books, send messages, control other devices, etc.
To put it mildly, I'm not a fan of such devices. I have even disabled the Google app on my phones as it is nothing but a spy/data collection program with ears. I haven't even taken the Echo out the box and I'll either return it or smash it with a hammer at some point.

Just wondering what others think of these things and what experience you've had.
Smash it with a hammer. The last thing I want is a "smart home" that increases vulnerability to hackers and erodes my privacy.

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
There's a distinction between the government knowing your details via the dmv, irs, etc and a private company stockpiling your data. You actually have a say in whether or not you share shit with FB or Google.