Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I never really pay attention to the twang of the buffer spring when shooting until I put a can on the end of the barrel. I have read reviews on the Super 42 enough to think this would be a quieter setup but I don't know for sure. The package has to be used together meaning a regular carbine buffer will not fit inside the braided spring it's too tight. You can get extra weights though for making the H1 an H2 or H3. Is it worth $65 prolly not but it goes on sale. Has anyone used it yet does anyone know first hand it quiets the spring twang down.

IMG_4109.JPG IMG_4110.PNG IMG_4111.JPG

Super 42

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
executive summary for the wall of text below:
-works well
-can be had for $40 on sale
-is expensive
-i won't buy them unless they are on sale

i have two of them and got them both on sale for under $40. they work well though i don't have more than 500 rounds using a single unit. longevity is supposed to be the main selling point.

i would be more gungho on them if the replacement weights to go from h1 to h2-3 weren't $20 per. that's a ripoff in my opinion for a small piece of tungsten. to get h3 weight you would have to buy the original unit for $40 (on sale) and then spend another $40 on two weights. no thanks.

having said this - the standard h1 (as it comes from geissele) works with all of my overgassed setups. if it were free / cheap, i would replace all of my carbine springs and buffers with this system. i'm not saying that it's the best - and from what i've heard - it's probably inferior to the VLTOR A5 system (also too expensive in my opinion).

just some of my thoughts.

Reactions: Red Dawn

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
as to the twang - i've learned to ignore that. i have noticed that the twang starts to disappear after a number of rounds on a spring/buffer setup. or maybe i'm just going deaf - who knows?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
as to the twang - i've learned to ignore that. i have noticed that the twang starts to disappear after a number of rounds on a spring/buffer setup. or maybe i'm just going deaf - who knows?
I haven't ever noticed it on my rifle to be honest. Now if I ever suppress it that may be a different story

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code

Thanks for the info @boss_hawg I think grabbing one on sale is in the future. That's crazy about the weights being $20 each but if the H1 works well no prob. Did you lube or grease the wire spring or just install it. Have you taken it out to inspect after 500 rds and notice anything at all.

Reactions: wearehiredguns

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I haven't ever noticed it on my rifle to be honest. Now if I ever suppress it that may be a different story

When you getting in the game with NFA already. You know you want it. Lol I'm usually reminded the twang is there by someone I have other things on my mind when I'm shooting but if you go suppressed then it stands out a bit but not annoying

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
When you getting in the game with NFA already. You know you want it. Lol I'm usually reminded the twang is there by someone I have other things on my mind when I'm shooting but if you go suppressed then it stands out a bit but not annoying

I have two more guns on my "need" list and then I'm going to get in the NFA stuff. Luckily both of the guns I need are under $500. I'm hoping to put in for my first stamp early next year.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Thanks for the info @boss_hawg I think grabbing one on sale is in the future. That's crazy about the weights being $20 each but if the H1 works well no prob. Did you lube or grease the wire spring or just install it. Have you taken it out to inspect after 500 rds and notice anything at all.

yes, i took it out to convert to 9mm setup (uses a special buffer with the standard spring). other than the typical oil and grime, it doesn't appear any different than when i first installed it

i didn't line or grease the spring (well technically "springs" since they are three interwoven springs) before i installed.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I have two more guns on my "need" list and then I'm going to get in the NFA stuff. Luckily both of the guns I need are under $500. I'm hoping to put in for my first stamp early next year.

Gotcha or you could file paperwork on it now with @DoglegArms and pick it up at the first of the year when you buy the other gun. LoL

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
yes, i took it out to convert to 9mm setup (uses a special buffer with the standard spring). other than the typical oil and grime, it doesn't appear any different than when i first installed it

i didn't line or grease the spring (well technically "springs" since they are three interwoven springs) before i installed.

Outstanding that good news I've wondered if there's any weakness to the springs using H2 H3 or any separation of the braids. Thanks for that

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Gotcha or you could file paperwork on it now with @DoglegArms and pick it up at the first of the year when you buy the other gun. LoL
I've thought about that. But the can I want first plus the stamp will cost almost as much as much as both guns I need combined.

I've gone my whole life without any NFA items so I am not in a huge rush.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
You aren't in a rush simply because you don't have any NFA. Once you go quiet, it's hard to go back!
Oh I feel you on that. Before I shot suppressed I never thought t was worth the money. Since then I've shot lots of suppressed guns and I absolutely want two of them.

And I really dread the wait. I can only afford to buy one or two guns a year. Spending 700+ on a can would mean no other guns that year and then I have to wait on top of that. because I hate the wait I plan to put in for three stamps (can, SBR lower, SBS) at one time just to get the wait going for all of them.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Oh I feel you on that. Before I shot suppressed I never thought t was worth the money. Since then I've shot lots of suppressed guns and I absolutely want two of them.

And I really dread the wait. I can only afford to buy one or two guns a year. Spending 700+ on a can would mean no other guns that year and then I have to wait on top of that. because I hate the wait I plan to put in for three stamps (can, SBR lower, SBS) at one time just to get the wait going for all of them.
The first can is by far the worst wait.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The first can is by far the worst wait.
I bet, I hate waiting for my Amazon orders with two day shipping. I want to get a kgmade swarm so hopefully it will stay with either them or dogleg arms so I can maybe shoot it from time to time while its in jail. The wait is also the reason that after the .22 can I plan to get one of the newer ones I can shoot 9mm, 5.556, and .308 through so I dont have to wait for more than two cans total.

the SBR and SBS stamps wont be as bad because I will still be able to shoot the guns while I wait.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I have no experience with that particular spring setup, but I did put a JP silent capture spring in my favorite carbine... and it's really, really smooth. And really, really quiet. I'm glad I changed out the old spring/buffer.

I can't imagine the Super 42 helps BCG hop or cycling rate like JP or Vltor but a step above carbine and a few extra $ maybe you get less buffer noise and less muzzle flip. I'm hoping to test this theory out.

Reactions: dial1911