Firearms International Corporation .410 gauge shotgun

American Revival Apparel Company

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
FIBronco410Shotgun5.jpg~original

This shot gun is marked as a Firearms International Corporation Washington D.C. 20022. It’s a single shot, with a wire-skeleton stock. It fires a single 3” .410 gauge shot round. Legend says that they were zinc die cast pot metal casings with a rod stock insert. They were imported from Italy or were first made in Accokeek, Maryland, Rossi in Brazil or maybe Spain? Depending on whose history one reads. No proofs mark would implicate they were not imported after 1968. This one was manufactured in 1969 or 1970.

FIBronco410Shotgun1.jpg~original

It’s a light weight two piece, weighing about 3 ½ lbs, a 20 inch barrel. It’s a Survival. Woods or Truck shot gun, with no frills. Not exactly an original design concept.

Sears used to sell a Hamilton Model 92 (.22 Short Rifle) around 1900-1901, which featured a wire-skeleton stock and inspired loads of imitations. He was also producing other rifles and revolvers. In 1898 he sold his partnership in the Air Rifle Business to his partner, who continued on manufacturing…… Daisy Air Rifles. Hamilton shut its door in 1945. If you can find a Model 92 these days it’s priceless.

FIBronco410ShotgunParts7.jpg~original

You don’t see a lot of screws on these Old Gals. They’re mostly held together by pins, which have to be driven out. Back in their day, when they broke and a youth tried to repair one, they got trashed.

To load this piece, one has to depress the front cocking piece to the rear. It then cocks the firing pin inside the receiver. The crossbolt safety gets pushed from the left side to the right. The cocking piece get’s pressed again to move the locking pin (above the pivot pin). The barrel is then swivels or pivots to the right and a round can be loaded. The barrel gets rotated to the left, while pressing the front cocking lever. Once the barrel is back in alignment, the lever gets released and the locking pin is set. The weapon is loaded.

In 1969, thanks to the Gun Control Act, Firearms International Corporation began putting serial numbers on their weapons; they continued this practice until 1970. Garcia Corporation bought them out in 1970 and renamed it the “Bronco”, they were selling them for $25. They slowed down to limited production in 1975, tried to re-name it the “Bauer Rabbit” and finally stopped producing it that year.

Later on the Rau Arms Wildcat (Ozark Mountain Wildcat) from F.I. sold as a similar model, but it was a .22LR.

This one is in “Good” shape. It has some dings and scrapes on the exterior but the barrel is shiny. I needed another .410 Shotgun like I need a hole in the head, but this strange looking; literally bare boned creature does have some charm to her. I paid a $100.00 for it.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
That is neat. I'm surprised that I've never seen one or even an article about that gun before.

CopyofSearsHamiltonAd1900s.jpg~original

I remember seeing ads for wire or rifles with tubular, skeletal rods for frames. Firearms International Corporation or the designer was probably inspired by Hamilton's Design and other survival rifles built during WWII. a Google Search for FIC Bronco 410 Gauge Shotgun brings up a couple of articles on the Bronco. I found several references in my library in various publications for collectors that gave me some information. But as I've noted since there are no production records available they have a sketchy history. A real odd ball find.

Hamilton had a furniture manufacturer in an adjacent building an starting putting wood on his rifles and changed his designs over the years. I still see some of his later Model Sears Hamilton 22 Short Rifles showing up at auctions.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
3Coyotes said:
Can't beat that minimalistic look.
Absolutely minimal, no frills. "for the man who care more about how his gun works, than it looks." was one of the comments of critics at that time. I'm probably going to wimp out and pad that butt when she gets a range trip. She's no 12 gauge but I read some comments made by folks who fired a Garcia Bronco .410 gauge and there were some regrets expressed regarding recoil.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Slowhand.....Congrats to you and enjoyed the history lesson..... :p

As old as I am I have never seen one of these... :-\
I think it was a great idea.... 8)