EMP. What's up with that?

Rwjeter

Mr. Freeze for mod 2018!
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I've seen it in movies wiping out everything electronic city wide. I know that's nowhere near truth. Just Hollywood.

But what's the real deal? What's vulnerable? What provisions can be made? I know the very basics. Shorter circuit lengths are better. In the event of an attack, equipment will be best protected if it's off, yeah, that's about it. Lol

What about vehicles and optics?

Anyone know more than me?

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
It's a real deal. The argument is usually over the likelihood that another country could successfully accomplish it. Electronics are what gets wiped out - RAM, ROM, hard drives, flash drives, circuit boards, etc. There are ways to shield against it, but I've never looked into it.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I will type more later when I get time.

Basics though:
The bigger the emp, the more destruction.
Faraday cage
It is a very real threat; natural or man made.

There is a lot of info out there regarding an emp event and I will be more than glad to hook it up.

A couple good books to read based off of emp.
Going home by A. American (the series is awesome)
One second after (Never read it,but about to)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwjeter

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
If nothing electronic is working, you will know it was an emp. That will be the time to bug out or bug in. Dont wait and hope your shit starts working again.

Reactions: Cudruln and Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Mr. Freeze for mod 2018!
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I know the pulse pretty much induces excess voltage and current on circuits causing them to melt. From what I read, the longer the circuit, the greater the potential for a higher current to be introduced. Thus, the more damage that will be caused. What about a small kick start dual sport like a little scrambler?

erkinator

Mid Life Crisis Student
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
If big enough from one article I read it could effect 80 percent of population as far as bye bye in a year. If you really think about it, no refrigeration. Elderly meds, hospitals after gas runs out of generators, trucking food. Machinery to do large scale everyday things. We be fucked.

Few places will make it. Brother in laws company is building a bunker somewere in Oklahoma for gubment thats EMP proof.

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
If big enough from one article I read it could effect 80 percent of population as far as bye bye in a year. If you really think about it, no refrigeration. Elderly meds, hospitals after gas runs out of generators, trucking food. Machinery to do large scale everyday things. We be fucked.

Few places will make it. Brother in laws company is building a bunker somewere in Oklahoma for gubment thats EMP proof.
Most stategic gubment facilities have emp protection. The cities is where people will die. Once grocery stores run out of food, it's game time.

Reactions: erkinator

Rwjeter

Mr. Freeze for mod 2018!
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
It's one reason I'm not big on red dot sights. I typically run irons. I also try to keep a basic map ready and am thankfully I was taught how it use a compass. And I prefer paper novels. (I really enjoy reading) I think it's the biggest threat we have. It's something I really want to be capable of overcoming.

karlvv

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
It's one reason I'm not big on red dot sights. I typically run irons. I also try to keep a basic map ready and am thankfully I was taught how it use a compass. And I prefer paper novels. (I really enjoy reading) I think it's the biggest threat we have. It's something I really want to be capable of overcoming.
Where you going? Compass and map in atlanta?