Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am currently running an armalaser gto red dot on my m&p 9c. It is a great compact laser with the flx finger activated on/ off (you just grip the gun normally to turn it on).

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/armal...XRX5TPLQWGRWmkX3W7ay9TKLiFoIfmgQaAg1LEALw_wcB

I am now debating on wether selling the laser and getting a light that will fit a sub compact (streamlight tlr-7 or comparable) or just dropping it all together.

What are you running on your EDC as far as a light or laser goes? Or you just a sight type of person.

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Ok ok.

Lasers and night sights are dumb. Only worthwhile attachment is a light, and the brightest one you can find

Lasers show you roughly point of impact if zeroed correctly. The problem is that they show you point of impact on a target that you can barely see and not positively ID as a threat.

Night sights are neat gadgets that allow you to properly line up your sights in the dark. The issue again is that you are shooting someone in the dark. Could be a burglar, could be your wife rumaging through the kitchen looking for migraine medicine.

A good light will allow you to get positive ID on a threat and you will be able to see your sights.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Ok ok.

Lasers and night sights are dumb. Only worthwhile attachment is a light, and the brightest one you can find

Lasers show you roughly point of impact if zeroed correctly. The problem is that they show you point of impact on a target that you can barely see and not positively ID as a threat.

Night sights are neat gadgets that allow you to properly line up your sights in the dark. The issue again is that you are shooting someone in the dark. Could be a burglar, could be your wife rumaging through the kitchen looking for migraine medicine.

A good light will allow you to get positive ID on a threat and you will be able to see your sights.
I currently have a streamlight tlr-1 on the HD gun. I am looking for recommendations on a light for a subcompact, something that will not be oversized in a 9c. Streamlight, surefire, inforce, etc.

Here is the hd gun.
20171117_164505.jpg

Reactions: dial1911

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I dont see the point of lights or lasers on a real CCW pistol. I can understand a light on a dedicated HD gun. I do carry a flashlight in my EDC loadout, but not mounted to the gun.

Than again, I'm generally an iron sight guy on my pistols and rifles.

My UMP will be getting a light on it for HD purposes.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I dont see the point of lights or lasers on a real CCW pistol. I can understand a light on a dedicated HD gun. I do carry a flashlight in my EDC loadout, but not mounted to the gun.

Than again, I'm generally an iron sight guy on my pistols and rifles.

My UMP will be getting a light on it for HD purposes.
A CCW light would be good if you happen to have a need for it at night. Unless you never go out at night:ninja:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have a light and laser (TLR-6). I don’t care about the laser and never use it.

I personally think any gun that is used for protection needs a light.

I also have a front night sight and solid black rear on both my carry guns.

Reactions: Cudruln

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
A CCW light would be good if you happen to have a need for it at night. Unless you never go out at night:ninja:

I carry a flash light. A gun shouldnt be unholstered unless its going to be used on an identified threat. Pointing a gun at something that you aren't going to shoot is always a bad idea.

The chances me of me needing just a flash light are orders of magnitude higher than me needing a weapon light

Reactions: TattooedGunner

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I currently have a streamlight tlr-1 on the HD gun. I am looking for recommendations on a light for a subcompact, something that will not be oversized in a 9c. Streamlight, surefire, inforce, etc.

Here is the hd gun.
View attachment 37695
My smallest and most light-weight is a TLR4, it sits on my nightstand pistol for now until the Olight comes in.

Light and laser functions, can toggle between light only, laser only, or laser and light.

The good: Runs a about $100 and weighs in at 2.81 ounces @ 2.73" long; downside is it's only about 125 lumens and uses a non-rechargable CR2 batt

Pic of it on a carry/commander length pistol

20180415_215337.jpg

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I carry a flash light. A gun shouldnt be unholstered unless its going to be used on an identified threat. Pointing a gun at something that you aren't going to shoot is always a bad idea.

The chances me of me needing just a flash light are orders of magnitude higher than me needing a weapon light

I agree with you about carrying a handheld flashlight, but I don't think that having a weapon mounted light/laser combo, like a TLR6, in conjunction with a handheld light is a bad idea either.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

Here is the hd gun.
View attachment 37695

Streamlight has a TLR7/8. It is their compact version of the TLR line. The 7 is just a light and the 8 is a light/laser combo. They make a TLR6 that is a light/laser combo and even more compact than the 7/8 that will fit the M&P 9c as well, but it's only 100 lumens.

TLR7/8:
https://www.streamlight.com/products/product-series/tlr-7-8-series

TLR6:
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69293-Tactical-Flashlight-Integrated/dp/B06WRNR9BV

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code

You just making up your own story with what I type. When I made my previous comment about needing a CCW light, would be you have a threat and intend to use your CCW for protection AT NIGHT. Not just using the light for a light. I carry a flashlight everyday for an alternate source of light. Thanks for the obvious observation though.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Streamlight has a TLR7/8. It is their compact version of the TLR line. The 7 is just a light and the 8 is a light/laser combo. They make a TLR6 that is a light/laser combo and even more compact than the 7/8 that will fit the M&P 9c as well, but it's only 100 lumens.

TLR7/8:
https://www.streamlight.com/products/product-series/tlr-7-8-series

TLR6:
https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69293-Tactical-Flashlight-Integrated/dp/B06WRNR9BV
Tlr 7 looks good. Going to compare it to the o light tomorrow and see what I come up with.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

True, but also consider that one-hand operation may be a necessity even once a threat is identified and the weapon is drawn. When I used to work nights, my EDC had a laser/light, while I still had a flashlight on me, having a weapon mounted light gave me a backup in the event I needed to go to single-hand.

My current night-stand guns are all equipped with lights, granted, not EDC, but for bump-in-the night stuff, I feel having a free hand is valuable

Reactions: Jake and Cudruln

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tlr 7 looks good. Going to compare it to the o light tomorrow and see what I come up with.
One thing to keep in mind during your search for your light, laser/light, whatever you end up with, is overall ergonomics once mounted. Everyone's finger length is different and some lights end up being too close or too far away from the trigger guard.

I mounted different lights on different pistols until I found the right fit for fast acquisition & dexterity/manipulation.

Reactions: Jake and Cudruln

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
One thing to keep in mind during your search for your light, laser/light, whatever you end up with, is overall ergonomics once mounted. Everyone's finger length is different and some lights end up being too close or too far away from the trigger guard.

I mounted different lights on different pistols until I found the right fit for fast acquisition & dexterity/manipulation.

Very good point.

I had a S&W Bodyguard .380 back in the day when they first came out(what a piece of shit, but that's another discussion) that had a built-in laser. The damn button on that thing was so far out that you had to use your thumb to activate it, not to mention it probably took 10lb of pressure to activate the damn thing.

AirOpsMgr

Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Very good point.

I had a S&W Bodyguard .380 back in the day when they first came out(what a piece of shit, but that's another discussion) that had a built-in laser. The damn button on that thing was so far out that you had to use your thumb to activate it, not to mention it probably took 10lb of pressure to activate the damn thing.
My USP tactical is the same way (granted, all due to the rail adapter unless you buy a light specifically built to attach to the stupid frigging HK USP rail), but that's exactly why it's not my night-stand gun. While I'd love to have the extra capacity that it affords, I just can't get a light/laser to mount on it close enough to the trigger guard to attain good ergonomics.

As a side note, I won't have a bump-in-the-night gun without a light & laser attached. There are just too many scenarios that could play out where I might want or need a light, a laser or both.... so why not have it there just in case?