Do you have the necessary skills to effectively carry

Howard Law

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
chris-timmerman submitted a new blog post

Do You Have the Necessary Skills to Effectively Carry

11866208_717170645092970_455356317016871717_n-150x150.jpg

Using the word “necessary” in any conversation can be a bit dangerous. Necessary can be very subjective and it can be hard to support your claim. It is even more dangerous when a good portion of people reading your opinion may very well disagree. However, I believe that each and every one of us that carries a firearm for defense or has one in the home to protect the family at one point or another need to take a long hard look at our skill set and decide if it is truly what is necessary to get the job done.
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

D

David

Another great article by Chris! Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Steve22

Hunter
Feb 16, 2016
Training and being prepared is essential to carrying a concealed weapon. When milliseconds absolutely make the difference between life and death knowing what to do, how to do it, and executing it are the only way to overcome the threat. Even if you have a CCW, learning to assess the situation rapidly and make the best decision can save yours or others lives, even if that simply means feeling and/or taking cover.

There is no shame in living to fight another day from behind or under a table. Always have a plan to go with your training!

Absolutely fantastic articl

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
[QUOTE="Steve22]Training and being prepared is essential to carrying a concealed weapon. When milliseconds absolutely make the difference between life and death knowing what to do, how to do it, and executing it are the only way to overcome the threat. Even if you have a CCW, learning to assess the situation rapidly and make the best decision can save yours or others lives, even if that simply means feeling and/or taking cover.
There is no shame in living to fight another day from behind or under a table. Always have a plan to go with your training!

Absolutely fantastic articl

[/QUOTE]
Thanks Steve! We spend the first couple hours of Handgun Level 1 discussing situational awareness, action vs. reaction, and planning. Having a plan shortens the reactionary gap. And like I end the article, "avoiding a gunfight is better than winning it!" Too many people develop super hero syndrome and think that just because they carry a gun they are Superman.

MyWifeSaidYes

Hunter
May 18, 2016
So, the elderly lady who never fired a gun in her life, but had one in her bedroom nightstand, who faced a home invader, got to that gun and shot her attacker,...what?

She sucks because she didn't have all the "necessary" "skills" for "effective" gun use?

The only thing she didn't do was "carry" the gun.

I'm not against training. Heck, I'm and NRA Instructor. But training is not the "ultimate answer" to anything in a self-defense situation.

If you want to use a gun "effectively", you need to have a gun and you need to have the will to use it.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
[QUOTE="MyWifeSaidYes]So, the elderly lady who never fired a gun in her life, but had one in her bedroom nightstand, who faced a home invader, got to that gun and shot her attacker,...what?
She sucks because she didn't have all the "necessary" "skills" for "effective" gun use?

The only thing she didn't do was "carry" the gun.

I'm not against training. Heck, I'm and NRA Instructor. But training is not the "ultimate answer" to anything in a self-defense situation.

If you want to use a gun "effectively", you need to have a gun and you need to have the will to use it.

[/QUOTE]
As noted in the title of my article, ..."Effectively carry..." is not the same as just using a firearm.

In your example, I would sincerely hope that if your elderly lady had a gun in her nightstand that she had at least shot it before. I also never said people who don't have those skills "suck" as you so eloquently put it. Anyone has the right to defend themselves, and one could even do so under the right circumstances with minimal or no training. My point is to evaluate your skills as those I listed will give you the best chance at winning an armed confrontation. Is it my opinion, sure it is, and you are entitled to yours as is anyone else.

I will say this though in regards to the example you gave. She better hope there is never more than one intruder. She better hope she doesn't have a malfunction. She better hope she it only takes 1 shot to stop the intruder. And she better hope she doesn't have to reload. If any of those happen, she will be in serious trouble.

As my mentor often said, "Hope is not a course of action". There is no "ultimate answer" to anything. I certainly wouldn't want to go 1 on 1 against Michael Jordan without practicing/training and just HOPE that I win. Especially if my life depended on it.

To each his own.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Anyone who discounts training because some other person suvived an attack without training is missing the point.