This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Do Humans Need a God to be Good?

Discussion in 'Religious Debate & Discussions' started by Laufen, Oct 17, 2017.

?

Is belief in a deity necessary for humans to be "good"?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  1. Knessler

Knessler Mandalorian Operator
    Lifetime Supporter

It is not and was not intended to be offensive, to be fair I have never known life the other way, but I know that that is ultimately where my fulfillment comes from. I do know people who have come to faith later in life that will profess to have found greater fulfillment in Christ than what they found before, but I cannot personally speak to this. And what I think is there is the idea of fulfillment in the tough times in a way that the world cannot match, the "Peace which surpasses all understanding." The idea that the hand of God is guiding your steps, and that when the tough times come there is a reason for it and a greater lesson to be found in it.

2. Willy Leadwell

Willy Leadwell Purveyor of Polyurethane
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

A Recently released research study has indicated that children who grew up in religious environments display less altruism and empathy in their behavior toward others.

#42 Willy Leadwell, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. Lurker66

Lurker66 Woodsman

Empathy, Compassion, Altruism and Love...everything good comes from these.

All can be taught, all can be seen in Nature....except at the cellular level, that's where it breaks down.

Cells...neither good or bad, they just exist, split and grow.

Humans are just a mass of cells. No, we don't "need" God to be good creatures, but we are exactly what he created.

4. vanguard

vanguard Woodsman

Matthew 19:16-21 King James Version (KJV)
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

5. vanguard

vanguard Woodsman

you see , no one is good. but God

6. Frogman

Frogman Brony
    Lifetime Supporter

He is hardly an impartial party too his goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheps likes this.
  7. Sheps

Sheps Frontiersman

You can't use your source as reference material for your source...

8. vanguard

vanguard Woodsman

Of course you can, that is like saying you can't use a ford manual to fix your ford.

9. PewPewPewCo

PewPewPewCo Weekend Warrior

It sure helps a rational person to have some idea of self benefit maximization to motivate behavior. The idea of good works during the short time of life leading to an infinite benefit and the end of life is technically a major motivator. It helps the misguided kid strap on a bomb vest and the misguided drug addict to change his ways.

But others have their own existential crisis and come to the conclusion that being good is:
    The most correct way to live. Good is appropriate and appropriate is correct. (Aristotle)

A way to be remembered fondly/leave your mark on this world so as to give your life purpose or lasting legacy. (Socrates)

How we further ourselves as a whole rather than individual. (Nietzsche)

That we are good because we hope to enjoy the benefits of a world of good people.

And the list goes on.

So do people NEED God? Well some people NEED a life jacket when they swim, but could they do without it sure. Just like some people need God or a leader or a philosopher to tell them how to live or guide them.

The more important question I think is if we need a reward to be good, or would we be good if all good acts were done anonymously with no belief or assurance that the act would be returned. If we need the reward, then we need God, because we need to have a motivation to be good that we believe to be good themselves and we need that individual to not be a mortal living among us as that would be the one person on earth with no moral guidance and ultimately immoral if we accept the premise that people won’t be good without a belief of a benefit to ethical living. (Holy run on sentence Batman)

karlvv and FatAlbert like this.
  10. Frogman

Frogman Brony
    Lifetime Supporter

I agree with pretty much all of that but if there was an answer to the original question it went over my head. Anyway The answer isn't a yes or no either like Laufen indicated, In my opinion we people clearly dont need God to be good as most gods aren't but still there are people that still have a need for god to be good and if their particular flavor of God isn't they tend to either change God by ignoring the things they dont like or apply a logic that God has to be good hence all acts of god are good even if they seem otherwise and that is a dangerous path.