Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I've had an M16. It ruined shooting for me. Besides the new Glock 48 I shot the day I bought it, I haven't shot anything in over a year. Collecting lowers has opened up a love for guns for me again, but I still have no desire to shoot. It was something I wanted my whole life and now that I have had it, meh.

Reactions: Laufen

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I only like collecting old WWII rifles now, I'm sick of shooting machine guns... I still like 3 gun, I think the Army has ruined any remote joy if shooting machine guns. Once you shoot them at -20, outside of a M998 turret, or in the middle of the summer when you need to change the barrel and it's about 1700 thousand degrees Kelvin... and hotter than a thousand Death Stars.... Shooting machine guns tends to lose its appeal.

Reactions: dial1911 and 1776

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I dont know why it didnt occur to me earlier, but I could really crank these things out on a press brake out of sheet metal. Might have to crank out some spares for events when we want more m16s on the line. Hmmmm
Isn't the mechanics of this basically the same thing as a lightning link?

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Isn't the mechanics of this basically the same thing as a lightning link?
Sort of. A lightning link uses a semi auto carrier to trip a lever that pulls the disconnector out of the way. This uses an auto cut bolt to push the tail of the disconnector down, releasing the hammer.

Same results, different way to get there

Reactions: 1776 and Hoss

Hoss

I have no idea who owns this place
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
here
I've had an M16. It ruined shooting for me. Besides the new Glock 48 I shot the day I bought it, I haven't shot anything in over a year. Collecting lowers has opened up a love for guns for me again, but I still have no desire to shoot. It was something I wanted my whole life and now that I have had it, meh.
When we moved out of the burbs and bought our current house 6 years ago, I couldn't wait to have a place where "I can shoot every day!!!" That lasted about 6 months. Now, unless I'm sighting in or testing a new gun, I rarely shoot anything that isn't 22lr. I do shoot a good but of 22lr though.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
When we moved out of the burbs and bought our current house 6 years ago, I couldn't wait to have a place where "I can shoot every day!!!" That lasted about 6 months. Now, unless I'm sighting in or testing a new gun, I rarely shoot anything that isn't 22lr. I do shoot a good but of 22lr though.

I have a good friend who was a Ranger DI, and parachuted into the airfield at Panama during Operation Just Cause.

No matter how many times I tried, he NEVER would go to the range, even at BSA camps. I finally offered to build him an AR, and he told me at that point that he just wasn't interested in shooting again. I think something about combat ruined it for him, but he wouldn't say more.

He was always more than happy to be critical of my shooting skills. I showed him a one-hole group of ten rounds at 50 feet with a single-shot no-mag iron sights BSA Camp .22 rifle and he said "But you didn't put them all in the middle of the bullseye!"
Just like a DI...

Reactions: dial1911 and Hoss

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
He was always more than happy to be critical of my shooting skills. I showed him a one-hole group of ten rounds at 50 feet with a single-shot no-mag iron sights BSA Camp .22 rifle and he said "But you didn't put them all in the middle of the bullseye!"
Just like a DI...

If you'd put all 10 through one hole in the dead center, you still wouldn't have done it fast enough.

Reactions: Axeman

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I would imagine brass would work better.

I’d think steel would create burrs all over the mating surfaces
I don’t think they’re made of just steel. I can remember seeing old school bodywork guys using coat hangers for brazing. That wouldn’t work with regular steel. My guess is that they are some kind of softer, more rust resistant alloy that does contain brass.