CCW

Howard Law

Do you test the weapon before carrying it?

• Yeah I run it hard.

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • I hope that piece of plastic works like they say it does.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
What type of test (if any) do you put a weapon through before carrying it as your primary?

I recently acquired a new to me firearm and started to grab it the other day to conceal carry. Even though I know the owner and he seems like a trustworthy fellar, I changed my mind last minute and went with my primary. I feel it is best to put the desired ammo through it before putting my life in it's hands.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I test accuracy and basic reliability with the ammo I carry (couple mags through at normal rate, couple rapid fire) then run some of the cheap ammo through it. I know I should do more.

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I test accuracy and basic reliability with the ammo I carry (couple mags through at normal rate, couple rapid fire) then run some of the cheap ammo through it. I know I should do more.
I was thinking range ammo to start with, that should really test the reliability. Then at least one mag of carry ammo.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Another thing. How often do you shoot your carry ammo or how long do you carry the ammo before taking it out of service?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Honestly, my G26 got a 50 round box of Winchester SXZ run through it before I started carrying it.

Since then, it's probably only seen 500 rounds.

I will shoot my carry mags through it one a year when I change out the ammo. But I do not do "hard training " with it. Probably should shoot it more, but it always hits at 7 yards.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Honestly, my G26 got a 50 round box of Winchester SXZ run through it before I started carrying it.

Since then, it's probably only seen 500 rounds.

I will shoot my carry mags through it one a year when I change out the ammo. But I do not do "hard training " with it. Probably should shoot it more, but it always hits at 7 yards.
I try to shoot my carry gun when I am at the range. I hate to say that I have been slacking on the ammo part though. It has been close to a 1 1/2 years on this round.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I try to shoot my carry gun when I am at the range. I hate to say that I have been slacking on the ammo part though. It has been close to a 1 1/2 years on this round.

I've shot it on many occasions, but like one G26 mag at a time. And it's always on a paper plate at 7 yards.

I'd like to be able to hit a golf ball at 25 yards with the thing, but that's not really self defense yardage.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I was thinking range ammo to start with, that should really test the reliability. Then at least one mag of carry ammo.
That’s typically how I feel. If it cycles cheap shit, it should cycle good stuff. I honestly don’t worry about rotating out my carry ammo. Typically I’ve carried the same ammo for years. It still went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
If I try a new carry ammo I'll usually go through a couple hundred rounds to be sure it functions. Let me tell you...I don't change ammo often bc that gets expensive AF.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I decided buying carry ammo in bulk and splitting w friends is the way to go. Last order I got federal fst loaded brass for $.36/Rd. Compared to a dollar apiece when you buy a 20 box

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
That’s typically how I feel. If it cycles cheap shit, it should cycle good stuff. I honestly don’t worry about rotating out my carry ammo. Typically I’ve carried the same ammo for years. It still went bang every time I pulled the trigger.
It’s less about cycling and more about feeding. I’ve owned a couple guns over the years that hollow points would hangup on the feed ramp.

Reactions: Huddy
H

Hoss

I made the mistake of only testing my pocket gun (TCP) with practice ammo and not my carry ammo. I carried it all last summer in my pocket with Hornady CD but only practiced with ball ammo. I got out of my car one evening and saw an armadillo and pulled it out to dispatch the little bugger... It went bang then locked open. Apparently the feed ramp was to steep for the CD round and the rubber plug acted like a door stop. Lesson learned.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I usually don't buy any guns that are suspect to begin with, but I put a solid 150 rounds of fmj's and 50 rounds of my carry ammo through it before carry. I always put a box or two through it each time I go to the range as well, usually 3-4 times a month.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Now that's a good idea.
Bonus is..I can burn 300 round of carry ammo to "test" with...and still have enough left to fill every mag I could carry on my body... discreetly. So, I suggest splitting 1000 rounds of carry ammo with a friend or two. Way better all around.