Car stereo

Faktory 47

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I'm in the market for a double DIN stereo for my wife's car. The problem I'm having trouble finding something that doesn't light up like the Vegas strip. Do any companies make a more conservative unit, one with decent features but without the bright constantly moving light show?

chance

Sniper
Jul 15, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
In for info as well.
I wonder ifni can hook one up to factory steering wheel controls.

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Woodstock/Acworth
Zip code
In for info as well.
I wonder ifni can hook one up to factory steering wheel controls.

If you order off of Crutchfield you can pay extra for them to wire everything up including an add-on harness to retain factory steering wheel controls on most vehicles and all you gotta do is plug it in to the factory plugs.

chance

Sniper
Jul 15, 2015
Kennesaw
Zip code
If you order off of Crutchfield you can pay extra for them to wire everything up including an add-on harness to retain factory steering wheel controls on most vehicles and all you gotta do is plug it in to the factory plugs.
Oh that makes it easy. Might have to do that. Im good with mechanical things, but the wiring is usually a little more difficult for me. That would be awesome

Hayata

This Space for Rent
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
The last time I messed with automotive sound systems Ronald Reagan was in the White House and I had a bitchin' cassette collection from Columbia House...wait, no, it was later when I replaced the unit in my '98 Ford Ranger...I guess ol' Bill was president.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code

Holy shit- Crutchfield is still in business?? I had no idea.

I didn't install it, but the Kenwood (??? Need to check) head unit in my car (installed by previous owner.... likely 10 years ago now) isn't too bad and has hands free/ Blue Tooth for my phone. I'll get a picture and maybe a model number tomorrow.

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yep, I used crutchfield when I replaced the corvettes unit a few years ago. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Axeman

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Woodstock/Acworth
Zip code
Holy shit- Crutchfield is still in business?? I had no idea.

Yup. I remember having to scroll through their catalog and call them up to order stuff from them before e-commerce became a real thing. I worked at a car stereo shop in highschool and we used to order stuff from them and then mark it up 20% and sell it there. Some of the home installs that came through there that they had us fix makes me glad that Crutchfield offers to wire everything up to make it a plug-and-play installation. I can't tell you how many times I took a head unit out to find that someone had twisted wires together and taped them together with Scotch tape.

Reactions: Axeman and dial1911

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Crutchfield is the way to go. You might be able to find a used Double din unit on eBay. The wiring harnesses are simple to connect to the head unit so you can connect to the factory harness. Spring for the model that has bluetooth connectivity.

Yoh did not state the year and model of the car you were wishing to put a radio in. Also, there is a kickass radio store on Bill Gardner parkway just across from the kangaroo gas station. There may be a good selection there as well.

Reactions: dial1911

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
I'm in the market for a double DIN stereo for my wife's car. The problem I'm having trouble finding something that doesn't light up like the Vegas strip. Do any companies make a more conservative unit, one with decent features but without the bright constantly moving light show?

This was something I wanted to know about too.
The 4$$Runner I bought last year had a double-DIN DVD player with backup camera capability, Bluetooth, blah blah blah. It’s a Pioneer, but a model that’s been replaced in their catalog.
I find it rather annoying that the touch-screen isn’t very sensitive, and the display goes to black all the damned time instead of listing the radio station options or at least some simple controls.
It was ‘installed’ by an idiot, who burned out the Bluetooth, and couldn’t figure out how to connect more than 3 wires after chopping out the factory plugs and removing one of the original amplifiers.

Things to consider:
There’s a bypass so you don’t have to wire the radio to the gear shift selector. This is supposed to keep people from watching movies while driving. I did it simply to avoid having to figure out the wires. Nobody here is stupid enough to watch a movie while driving.
Cheap backup cameras are easily available on Amazon.

I used to do my own stereo/car interior custom bullshit back in the 90s. Had one kick ass system.

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Thanks for the info guys, certainly Crutchfield and Amazon are already on my radar. I'm looking more for info specific units. I was hoping that someone had the same idea and already found a unit with a conservative or less obnoxious display. I'll probably steer clear of touch screen models for the sake of simplicity.

Reactions: Axeman

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
Thanks for the info guys, certainly Crutchfield and Amazon are already on my radar. I'm looking more for info specific units. I was hoping that someone had the same idea and already found a unit with a conservative or less obnoxious display. I'll probably steer clear of touch screen models for the sake of simplicity.
Do they make any double-DIN models with backup camera that have some FUCKING KNOBS instead of the accursed touch-screen?
I miss the simplicity of KNOBS, DAMMIT!!!!
If you come across any in your travels, drop me a line PLEASE!