Butchering your own deer.....a "how to" series

the_great_white

High Drag - Low Speed Operator
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
The Interwebs!
Season is fast approaching, although not fast enough IMO. Just a quick refresher course and if you would like to save yourself some $$$, here's a nice little series i found on youtube. I've been butchering my own for quite a few years and it's fairly simple and something you can do yourself. I always try and share my experience with the new guys and try and teach them and hope these videos help some of those who want to try it for themselves. This isn't exactly how i do it, but it will get you a start and you will work into your own technique before long.

why pay someone to do something you can do yourself relatively easy?

The first time you try this yourself, it may get frustrating at times, but shoot more deer and gain more practice! :D It gets easier and easier!

Give it a try!

medium187mph

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Jun 4, 2015
Lagrange, GA
I'd like to try this but not when I double up....

Dang yellow jackets swarm me every time because its never cold enough when I'm dropping them.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
Good post, I see a few things I did not remember when I was taught.

Now bring on the squirrel, pheasant and rabbit videos, I need to see what else I've forgotten!

Reactions: madHatter

Woodstock

Sniper
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
Good one GW. May hunt this year if the deer pop at my hunt club is back up. coyotes ate em . Only other choices are overhunted public lands

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Been butchering my deer for 20+ years. Used to take the boned-out scraps& shoulders to a place in Tulsa that made awesome bratwurst, smoked sausage, etc...
This past year I started making my own sausage as well, I can make a decent bratwurst, and a good smoked sausage, but still working on a hot link recipe that suits me. I've been using deer/wild pig, with some domestic hog fat thrown in so sausages aren't too dry. If any of y'all try this, don't be afraid to put some fat in there - also - doing a good bit of reading on meat preservation and bacteria prevention is a must.

Reactions: TattooedGunner

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Too much work. Takes away from the beer drinking. I actually like cutting up my own deer, just never seem to have time.

Mandoade

Hunter
Dec 28, 2016
Wisconsin
Zip code
My family just kind of goes communal with it take all our deer usually around ten and all of us spend a day butchering and making burgers. Venison brats are just too dense for me I'll eat a pork one. But venison burgers are killer.

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The weather needs to cool down much more.

The meat will turn fast if you dont get right on it and then there are the bugs to deal with. If you have some big coolers you can quarter it and store for 24 hours or a little more. In this warmer weather a processor may be the better option.

H

Hoss

The weather needs to cool down much more.

The meat will turn fast if you dont get right on it and then there are the bugs to deal with. If you have some big coolers you can quarter it and store for 24 hours or a little more. In this warmer weather a processor may be the better option.
Agreed.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Quarter it up and keep it in daily fresh ice with salt added. I have a setup this year to hang one in the barn when it is cold, but I already shot my deer for the year. If anybody down my way wants to try it....

Reactions: the_great_white

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I've already butchered two deer and a hog this year. Got'em home, hung, quartered, in ice chests. Keeping them really really cold not only prevents spoilage, but makes the meat much easier to slice. These were quick, as I only saved backstraps and tenderloins for steak, and diced the rest to be ground for chili/sausage. I need to buy some domestic pork fat before I start on the sausage making, but it's still way too warm for that.

Reactions: the_great_white