Bugging in or bugging out?

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Age old question.

I have gear to go. I don't believe we will make it 2 weeks in the same place if something happens.

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
I got to be honest, I don't think I'd make it 2 weeks walking, with no place to go... I think I'd have a much better chance staying at the house. I have 90 days of food, and a lake in the back yard.

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
I've got a friends house that I would get to. He has stored everything from propane to a library of books for surviving, and enough arms to to take whatever we don't have

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I got to be honest, I don't think I'd make it 2 weeks walking, with no place to go... I think I'd have a much better chance staying at the house. I have 90 days of food, and a lake in the back yard.
The two weeks is not necessary walking. A general rule of thumb in Disasters (natural) that if you have had to make it two weeks under stress - you are screwed and need to get out or get help.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I've got a friends house that I would get to. He has stored everything from propane to a library of books for surviving, and enough arms to to take whatever we don't have
That is a mighty nice friend.

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If we had to leave the house, I'd have to have a full tank of gas plus 30 gallons of gas in the trunk because we'd be headed to my parent's place. It would take a whole lot to force me out of my shell here though.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Bugging In... unless the environment is not stable or healthy to stay in.
You have to play the devils advocate and assume where you are is no longer safe. I think to many people assume just because its convenient, that their house is going to keep them safe. What if your house is the worst place?

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
What if your house burned to the ground? or flooded? or a storm took it out?

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
If we had to leave the house, I'd have to have a full tank of gas plus 30 gallons of gas in the trunk because we'd be headed to my parent's place. It would take a whole lot to force me out of my shell here though.
Yeah but if you havent got a plan B and assume that will happen, you might be screwed.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yeah but if you havent got a plan B and assume that will happen, you might be screwed.
IF it's that bad I'm screwed anyway. We don't have family anywhere near us here. The closest that I'd go to are my parents and they are 1000 miles away. They have two wells that tap the Ogallala aquifer, are very secluded, lots of game, and I/they know all of the neighbors very well. That's all I've got. The southeast is so densely populated that unless you know someone with land, you're going to be "heading to the mountains" with two million of your closest neighbors. The mountains suck for growing food, and the wildlife isn't abundant enough to feed many people.
It's plan A (stay home), or plan B (drive to my parent's place). That's all I've got.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
IF it's that bad I'm screwed anyway. We don't have family anywhere near us here. The closest that I'd go to are my parents and they are 1000 miles away. They have two wells that tap the Ogallala aquifer, are very secluded, lots of game, and I/they know all of the neighbors very well. That's all I've got. The southeast is so densely populated that unless you know someone with land, you're going to be "heading to the mountains" with two million of your closest neighbors. The mountains suck for growing food, and the wildlife isn't abundant enough to feed many people.
It's plan A (stay home), or plan B (drive to my parent's place). That's all I've got.
That part is dang spot on.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I always propose an interesting theory in my classes and thats, "What if Atlanta is the safe spot?" - que debate......... now.

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I always propose an interesting theory in my classes and thats, "What if Atlanta is the safe spot?" - que debate......... now.
If Atlanta is the safe spot there will be a tremendous strain on LE, the electrical grid, and water. Hotels and motels near the highways would be slammed, and it'd make travel via car almost impossible. I'm glad I'm a runner.

Reactions: Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
If Atlanta is the safe spot there will be a tremendous strain on LE, the electrical grid, and water. Hotels and motels near the highways would be slammed, and it'd make travel via car almost impossible. I'm glad I'm a runner.
Having a system in place that works, even if its slow - is better then having no system at all and going mad max on everything.

Reactions: Laufen

dougiemac

Captain
Owner
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Zip code
You have to play the devils advocate and assume where you are is no longer safe. I think to many people assume just because its convenient, that their house is going to keep them safe. What if your house is the worst place?
Couple Plan B's:
Load up the truck and head to middle TN where I have some heavily armed and prepped compadres.
Load up the truck and head north to SW Ohio where I have a lot of friends and family.
*Fortunately my wife is a licensed pilot, so we could always commandeer a single engine and fly there if the roads are impassable.

Reactions: Laufen and Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
Couple Plan B's:
Load up the truck and head to middle TN where I have some heavily armed and prepped compadres.
Load up the truck and head north to SW Ohio where I have a lot of friends and family.
*Fortunately my wife is a licensed pilot, so we could always commandeer a single engine and fly there if the roads are impassable.
So what your saying is. We have an airforce of one at our fingertips.

Laufen

Ammosexual
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Having a system in place that works, even if its slow - is better then having no system at all and going mad max on everything.
I guess it depends on the scenario. Too bad/dangerous and people won't go to work.

Reactions: Patryn