Boots

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
Marietta
www.rzrrestoration.com
Zip code
So I bought a pair of Salomons that did not last 6 months. Just walked out of Cabelas yesterday with my tried and true Keen boots.

Who else uses Keens or what you rocking instead?

Reactions: dougiemac

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So I bought a pair of Salomons that did not last 6 months. Just walked out of Cabelas yesterday with my tried and true Keen boots.

I've had good luck with Merrill. My favorite were my Asolo boots though. I used to backpack a lot. I quit keeping track after I put 1000 miles on them.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
McDonough, Georgia
Zip code
I use Timberland Pro Endurance and Boondocks for everything from work to hiking to general everyday use, I haven't found anything that is more comfortable and lasts as long

Reactions: karlvv

Cudruln

Turning pennies into dollars.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I like my Redwing or georgia boots. Logger style, steel toed and minimum of 8" tall. I primarily use them for work but they are my go to hiking boots also.

I will probably end up getting a pair of boots this year though just to try out. The keen brand will be at the top of the list.

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
For hunting boots, stitch down Danners or Salewa.
For hiking boots, Mammut and Salewa.
For Trail Running Shoes: Saucony, Mizuno, or Brooks.

Reactions: dougiemac

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I have a pair of Reebok composite toe work boot that have had some miles on them and I like em.

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

Most Soloman's are designed for true hiking/field use. The soles are designed for traction in the wild, and the materials used are softer to afford greater grip on slick surfaces. The upside is extremely high performance outdoors, the downside is that a lot of people think this will translate well to walking on hard surfaces like concrete as a daily use shoe. That's not what they were designed to do. They were designed to be used hard by hikers and mountaineers, and replaced regularly...like a high performance car tire. They're soft and grippy on the race track, but if you expect 80,000 miles out of them using them around town you'll be disappointed. Keens on the other hand are designed to look like high performance hikers, but are built with harder, more durable rubber for street and daily use.

Solomon is great kit, you just have to choose the right shoe for the activity.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
Marietta
www.rzrrestoration.com
Zip code
Most Soloman's are designed for true hiking/field use. The soles are designed for traction in the wild, and the materials used are softer to afford greater grip on slick surfaces. The upside is extremely high performance outdoors, the downside is that a lot of people think this will translate well to walking on hard surfaces like concrete as a daily use shoe. That's not what they were designed to do. They were designed to be used hard by hikers and mountaineers, and replaced regularly...like a high performance car tire. They're soft and grippy on the race track, but if you expect 80,000 miles out of them using them around town you'll be disappointed. Keens on the other hand are designed to look like high performance hikers, but are built with harder, more durable rubber for street and daily use.

Solomon is great kit, you just have to choose the right shoe for the activity.
Agreed. 100% but these failed in every single possible place. Laces, Tread, Soles, Seams......everything. They should be framed.

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Agreed. 100% but these failed in every single possible place. Laces, Tread, Soles, Seams......everything. They should be framed.
Solomon will take care of you. I was invited to meet with their R&D team last year as part of a tour they were doing throughout the US to become more familiar with American runners/hikers. They are truly dedicated to making great products, and they'll stand behind them if there was a defect.