This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Welcome OHGunOwners Members! OHGunOwners has come together with Southeast Traders to build one awesome outdoor and gun trading community. More members, more content, more classifieds and more fun to be experienced. We've made the transition as seamless as possible, so you can use your existing login credentials. If you have any issues, email [email protected] and we will take care of it for you!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Way to Cook Ribs?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Recipes' started by dougiemac, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM.

1. dougiemac

dougiemacdougiemac is a Verified Member Dir. of Gun Culture
    Owner Trusted Trader

I've smoked pork shoulders, boston butts, turkeys, chicken and fish, but one of the two things I've not attempted are ribs and brisket. So I want to remedy that. I bought a rack of pork ribs and want to know what's your favorite / best way to cook them? I've got a Big Green Egg, so I'm ready to roll.

2. SouthernSlammed

SouthernSlammed Gingerbeard Operator
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

Smoked!

3-2-1 method!
    3hrs uncover
    2hrs wrapped in foil
    1hr unwrapped

Season the way you do a butt.

I like to mix 2 parts brown sugar an 1 part rub, when you wrap sprinkle that on it!

erkinator, dougiemac and karlvv like this.
  3. Huddy

Huddy Tracker

Great method above!
    I keep my egg around 230F for all smoking. Use pecan or apple. I use mustard as a binder for the rub and generally let the rub set for 24 hrs first. Also, set the ribs out in advance so they are room temp...will prevent as large of a fluctuation in egg temp. I also sprinkle a bit more rub on when I "unfoil" them. Or BBQ instead of extra rub. Let em rest a bit before chopping. Hope it works well for you.

PS. If you have a vertical rack for ribs on the egg, I think it makes a difference...I like mine

SouthernSlammed and dougiemac like this.
  4. karlvv

karlvv Russian Hacker

Cant go wrong with 3-2-1.

SouthernSlammed and dougiemac like this.
  5. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

I did my wild boar ribs in my fire pit, covered in aluminum foil. I drilled a hole in the side to regulate airflow, and used a stick I found in the yard to adjust it. Empty beer cans stuffed with wet oak wood chips from the tree they cut down next door provided the smoke. I used the leaf blower to get a good bed of coals going quickly. No rubs, no sugar, just salt and pepper. I was able to keep them at around 210 for 8 hours...fucking delicious.That's my method.

Attached image showing method for increasing oxygen to the carbon and accelerating the combustion process.

Dollars spent $0
    IMG_2856.JPG

erkinator and dial1911 like this.
  6. karlvv

karlvv Russian Hacker

0 except for the blower, ribs, beer cans, wood chips, drill, aluminum foil........

7. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

Already had the blower, shot the ribs..maybe 30 cents for the ammo, already had the beer cans, wood chips were free from the yard, already had the drill...aluminum foil, 50 cents.

Ok, it cost 80 cents.

karlvv likes this.
  8. karlvv

karlvv Russian Hacker

Cheap ass.

Laufen likes this.
  9. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

Smart Ass!

karlvv likes this.
  10. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

There are a variety of methods demonstrated in this thread. Some might be suitable for suburban golf dads, others for wilderness men.