American Revival Apparel Company
D

David

I'm looking to put together a list of handguns that are good for concealment in Ohio. With the ride range of weather we experience in any given week (and sometimes day) finding that one gun that fits all seasons can be difficult.

Anyone have their top 2-3 favorite handguns for concealment in Ohio?

D

David

David submitted a new blog post

Best Handguns for Concealed Carry in Ohio

glock43-concealed-carry-150x150.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Get a glock 19/23 and a glock 26/27 and you can carry concealed anywhere in any weather. I have many other guns besides these, but have no reason to carry any of them.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
G19 and G42. Those two will fit any purpose and any season. I carry my G19 nearly all year long unless I need to pocket carry. Simple, reliable, combat accurate. As good as it gets in my opinion.

Just curious, were the guns in your article based on your experience or research?

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Interesting Chris. I certainly understand people choosing a single stack for deep concealment. I included the G26/27 because I personally have no trouble concealing those in any outfit, but I understand people choosing the single stack instead. However your choice of G42 instead of G43 is interesting. I have no intention on getting into a caliber debate, but with the G43 being essentially the same concealable size as the G42, why go with that over the 43?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
[QUOTE="T.L.Jones]Interesting Chris. I certainly understand people choosing a single stack for deep concealment. I included the G26/27 because I personally have no trouble concealing those in any outfit, but I understand people choosing the single stack instead. However your choice of G42 instead of G43 is interesting. I have no intention on getting into a caliber debate, but with the G43 being essentially the same concealable size as the G42, why go with that over the 43?

[/QUOTE]
I own both a G42 and G43. I opt for the G42 for pocket carry/deep concealment because while the measurements on paper are very very close between them, with what I generally wear the is a significant difference in ease/speed of draw with the G42 due to it's slightly smaller size. Neither the G42 or G43 share mags with my G19 like the G26 does, so that is a non factor. Top quality .380 rounds have very good ballistics, particularly Federal HST. And while a G43 isn't hard to shoot, there is a significant difference in felt recoil on a G42 than G43. G42 feels like a .22mag. I can run it harder, faster, and just as accurate as the G43.

Tertiary reason; my wife can handle my G42 much easier/better than my G43. If whatever would happen goes down hill fast it's a better option for her as she doesn't carry on a regular basis......yet. Whether it be me giving her my backup gun or I'm down and out of the fight and she is defending us at that point.

Not to say I won't change my ways in the future as nothing is ever set in stone, but it works well for me now.

TinyTimmy

Hunter
May 11, 2016
No M&P Shield or Ruger LCP/LCR on the list?! Hogwash I say! Anyway you can't ever go wrong with a few glocks. The G19 has been a long time personal favorite of mine for as long as its been out. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. I pretty much carry full size concealed weapons every where I go, but I do have a few small surprises stashed in my house and in my car

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
@David , Is your list based of personal experience with each gun or a combination of experience and research via articles, magazines, etc.?

D

David

Chris Timmerman] [URL="https://www.southeasttraders.com/profile/1-david/ said:
@David[/URL] , Is your list based of personal experience with each gun or a combination of experience and research via articles, magazines, etc.?
Based off some research from articles and magazines and personal experience. I have experience with the Glock 19, FNS9C (very briefly), and a Beretta I carried for a whopping 4 hours one day. I'm a rather well fed individual so I don't have a problem hiding the full size weapons like the Glock 19 or a full sized FNS9 (my EDC) but was hoping to get a decent starter list for a range of people

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Ok. I ask because I'd challenge the Beretta PX4.

Having carried an M9 on deployment and trained with it extensively I can testify that slide mounted safties like the M9, PX4, Ruger P89/90/95/345, and the like are terrible. Not ergonomic at all and unless you rack the slide in a specific manner you very easily run the risk of inadvertently putting the safety ON.

It is also much more difficult if not damn near impossible to break open a stuck slide with a monadnock d-jammer because of the rotating barrel lock up.

For me, those are two pretty big issues to have on a carry gun. But as anything else, just my opinion based on experience.

JD

Hunter
Apr 25, 2016
I've given this a lot of thought recently for me the clear winner was the Ruger SR9c. Slim, concealable grip, unobtrusive controls, short mag holds 10, long mag with grip sleeve holds 17. Using the shorter mag, I've found it to be easily concealed wearing shorts and a t-shirt using an Alien gear IWB holster.

Machi

Hunter
Mar 28, 2016
I agree with a lot of the list as well. Even though its clearly not a comprehensive list full of every single gun that would make good for concealed carry its a good foundation and should give everyone a nice place to start.

I think I'd have to add the Ruger LCR/LCP line up in to the mix as well, and probably remove the Beretta guns (because they are terrible)