baffle stack or monocore?

GA Firing Line

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I don't think monocore vs. baffles would be a deciding factor for me. I think performance, size, weight, durability and servicability would be the major contributing factors. All of those things being equal, I would say baffles, but that may just be because that's what I have and that's what I'm used to. It would be nice not to have to worry about lining them up, but I don't take mine apart nearly as often as some others apparently do.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I don't think monocore vs. baffles would be a deciding factor for me. I think performance, size, weight, durability and servicability would be the major contributing factors. All of those things being equal, I would say baffles, but that may just be because that's what I have and that's what I'm used to. It would be nice not to have to worry about lining them up, but I don't take mine apart nearly as often as some others apparently do.
my main concerns are durability and ease of maintenance/cleaning.

I'm not quite as worried about performance because the most common rimfire caliber (22lr) isn't all that noisy to begin with.

weight too is not that big of a concern because it's going on a rifle and most rimfire cans are not heavy/big anyway.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code

I'm not quite as worried about performance because the most common rimfire caliber (22lr) isn't all that noisy to begin with.

weight too is not that big of a concern because it's going on a rifle and most rimfire cans are not heavy/big anyway.
what cans are you looking at?

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code

With those being your two main concerns I would go with the Sparrow hands down. The "clamshell" design makes it super easy to clean and disassemble. The tube never even gets dirty. The only drawback is you do get a fair amount of "first round pop" that is avoided with most baffle stack designs.

Reactions: PewPewPewCo

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Listed in order of bestness
1. Monocore with clamshell
2. Baffle stack
3. Monocore

Baffles do tend to fit in tumblers easier tho!

Reactions: White
Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Listed in order of bestness
1. Monocore with clamshell
2. Baffle stack
3. Monocore

Baffles do tend to fit in tumblers easier tho!
Does anyone besides silencerco make a clamshell design? I figured they had some sort of patent on that. It's the main reason I bought the sparrow

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I just noticed you said this will be on a rifle which means "first round pop" will not be as much of an issue. It's fairly significant on my pistols.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Personally, I prefer baffle stacks. There is pronounced FRP with monocores. I don't mind on a rifle can, but on a rimfire can that is used for squirrel eradication, FRP is annoying.