Back up. Let me know your thoughts.

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
But you said, "The law enforcement/military angle is a driving force in innovation, as is the competitive shooting scene. PRS, F-Class, 3 gun, etc" which SURELY includes non magnified optics for a metric crap ton of shooting involved in several if not all of those.
These days, the competitive shooting scene seems to be driving innovation more and more, with the military and LEO looking to adopt from our ranks. Looks at reticles, shooting bags, etc. Lots of reticles coming out based on professional shooter's insights - G2 & G3 GAP (George Gardner) and SKMR varients (Shannon Kay) come to mind. Hell, look at the cartridges the military is considering now.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
But you said, "The law enforcement/military angle is a driving force in innovation, as is the competitive shooting scene. PRS, F-Class, 3 gun, etc" which SURELY includes non magnified optics for a metric crap ton of shooting involved in several if not all of those.
That's where the 1-8x comes in. You get all the advantages of a red dot with much better durability, and the ability to engage targets to the end of the effective range of most carbines and dmr's. The problem is the inherent limitation with non-magnified optics. It's just not something NF has been willing to build into an optic at this point.

The other reason there isn't a fix 1x is that NF has put a considerable amount of R&D and dollars into creating a true 1x magnified optic. That is an engineering feat in itself, and it' one of the main reasons that non-maginified red dots are so popular...there aren't many options otherwise, so you deal with the limitations of a fixed 1x.

Last edited:

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
That's where the 1-8x comes in. You get all the advantages of a red dot with much better durability, and the ability to engage targets to the end of the effective range of most carbines and dmr's. The problem is the inherent limitation with non-magnified optics. It's just not something NF has been willing to build into an optic at this point.

The other reason there isn't a fix 1x is that NF has put a considerable amount of R&D and dollars into creating a true 1x magnified optic. That is an engineering feat in itself, and it' one of the main reasons that non-maginified red dots are so popular...there aren't many options otherwise, so you deal with the limitations of a fixed 1x.

This is true ^^^ But, 99.8% of all shooters can't justify a $1,700.00 NF optic, when then can shoot a $400.00 Vortex just as well on their SDM rifle... I'd love to have one, but even having the opportunity to shoot at distance, on a army range, I still cannot spend that kind of money on a single optic.

If NF was to come out with a "value" line of optics, I think it would sell well, and eventually shooters would get into the NF high dollar stuff.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
This is true ^^^ But, 99.8% of all shooters can't justify a $1,700.00 NF optic, when then can shoot a $400.00 Vortex just as well on their SDM rifle... I'd love to have one, but even having the opportunity to shoot at distance, on a army range, I still cannot spend that kind of money on a single optic.

If NF was to come out with a "value" line of optics, I think it would sell well, and eventually shooters would get into the NF high dollar stuff.
There are plenty of value lines. There aren't that many premium lines. The SHV's are the value line. You don't see Lamborghini putting out a budget line.

Reactions: cmshoot and Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

Yep, I agree. $1700 is quite a hurdle for the recreational shooter. The reason NF won't come out with a line of optics below the SHV, is that the glass quality and durability absolutely have to be NF quality, and if you stripped away other features to get to the $300-500 range it wouldn't even be a scope any more. There's simply no way for us to build a scope at that price point that will meet company standards for ruggedness, reliability and repeatability.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
QC takes a shit when building a budget scope. Not to mention build quality. You get what you pay for in scopes.
Yep
The budget scope model is to sell the lifetime warranty over the optic, make the scopes in China with a massive profit margin, and be able to afford to replace all of the defective units that get dumped into the market due to not being part of the qc process.

Reactions: cmshoot