ATF To Issue Two Monumental Determinations

GA Firing Line

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
It would save them a lot of headache to vastly simplify their rules.

They can't just get rid of the NFA but they can produce an official document that greatly clarifies things. It sounds like this may step in that direction. It would be better than constantly having to figure out if something is legal or not.

permaneo vox

Powered by Silencer Shop
Trusted Trader
Sep 21, 2015
Heart of Georgia
Zip code
So, if you use your Occulus in fhe short configuration, the leftover parts are another suppressor? Or not?

Do leftover parts fit another firearm?

I didn't think so.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I honestly couldn't care less about what they say about AFG's. Easy fix for anyone. What they say about modular cans could get real interesting real fast. And if they change up how these are treated, could be a nightmare for those of use who already own modular cans.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
It would save them a lot of headache to vastly simplify their rules.

They can't just get rid of the NFA but they can produce an official document that greatly clarifies things. It sounds like this may step in that direction. It would be better than constantly having to figure out if something is legal or not.
Thats the point though. If they simplify, it makes it far easier for everyone to go around the rules by doing something very similar but not EXACTLY what the law says...

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I honestly couldn't care less about what they say about AFG's. Easy fix for anyone. What they say about modular cans could get real interesting real fast. And if they change up how these are treated, could be a nightmare for those of use who already own modular cans.
Nah theyll grandfather us in. Theyre not going to just say "Oh btw gotta turn in your modular cans!!"

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I could pretty much guarantee this is from people endlessly asking them if such and such product is legal for their AR pistol. A pistol is, by definition, a firearm of less than 26" overall and designed to be fired with a single hand. Keep poking the bear and they will eventually classify anything that is designed to be held by a hand (handguard, hand stop, AFG, etc) an AOW if installed on a pistol.

The modular silencer thing would make sense if they could be assembled in a fashion that it could be used without the serialized part, but i have never seen one capable of that. If there was a manufacturer out there doing it, they should be dealt with directly.

We shall see what the determinations actually say, but its safe to say they are trying to be more of a pain in the ass to the people trying to follow the rules. Supposedly, a few people that i know, know, but they arent spilling the beans.

Reactions: ReservoirDawg10

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I figured something along these lines were the case:

Modular Suppressor Design – FATD is in the process of reviewing a request from an independent industry representative regarding a single, specific modular suppressor design. The representative is seeking a determination regarding their specific product, not a blanket determination that would apply to other existing modular designs. The issue in question is whether or not the suppressor being reviewed has the ability to assemble more than one functional suppressor out of the component parts that are supplied as a single suppressor to the end-user.

Reactions: chance