Ar-15 bcg

Faktory 47
May 2, 2017
Plant city, Fl
Zip code
Recently got a s&w m&p 15 sport 2 rifle. Put maybe 500 rounds through it. Cleaned it every time i shot it. About 100 per range visit. I just learned how to take the bolt and firing pin out for cleaning. Only thing is the cam pin won't rotate the 90° so i can remove the bolt. Did i do something wrong? Don't want to force it and really mess something up. Any tricks of the trade would be much appreciated!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Recently got a s&w m&p 15 sport 2 rifle. Put maybe 500 rounds through it. Cleaned it every time i shot it. About 100 per range visit. I just learned how to take the bolt and firing pin out for cleaning. Only thing is the cam pin won't rotate the 90° so i can remove the bolt. Did i do something wrong? Don't want to force it and really mess something up. Any tricks of the trade would be much appreciated!

Hit it with some brake parts cleaner (probably just gunked up), once out, hit all surfaces with oil

Reactions: AtlMedic

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
You took the firing pin out first right? If so, use force to rotate it. Oil the parts before you put them back together

Reactions: Kevin Martin
May 2, 2017
Plant city, Fl
Zip code
You took the firing pin out first right? If so, use force to rotate it. Oil the parts before you put them back together
I could of not said anything. But i own up to my stupidity... Thank you. It makes total sense now... That hole in the cam pin.... That's where the firing pin goes thru right? No wonder it wouldnt budge

Reactions: chance

chance

Tracker
Jul 15, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I could of not said anything. But i own up to my stupidity... Thank you. It makes total sense now... That hole in the cam pin.... That's where the firing pin goes thru right? No wonder it wouldnt budge

Haha no worries brother. We have all been there

Reactions: Mitchell Thomas

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Wait until you loose one of the small parts and have to find it. Remember that AR's like lube and keep on shooting. The cotter pin can be a MOFO sometimes depending on your gun. Just twist it easy until it finally seats and is in vertical alignment.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
You think that's funny...

My first experience with handling and taking an AR-15 apart was playing with my son's long-range target AR. I wanted to see what all the parts in the bolt looked like so I started disassembly. Whoaaa.... I dropped a couple of parts on the floor, one of which was the firing pin. I looked for the missing firing pin spring for quite a while before getting on the web to learn that there's no such thing as a firing pin spring in the AR design. :rolleyes: