Recipe Anyone own/use dehydrators?

Howard Law

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I have a funny story about the time I tried to make banana chips, but ended up with little black hockey pucks...

All I can say is that it's best to get one with a heating element and a fan to circulate air. I have a hand-me-down from a coworker with just a heating element. It works ok (soak your banana slices in a lemon juice/water mix first) and I know he made jerky more than once in it. I get better results if there's a floor or table top fan running near it for more air circulation (although this is Georgia where the summer humidity is over 90% on a good day).

Per my coworker, shop at yard sales- he got a really nice unit (big upgrade from my hand-me-down) for around $30.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
I've had one for many years. My wife loves banana chips and easy to make. Cut a ripe banana into thin (important thin) slices and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. It take 18 hours or so for them to turn out right. Apples are also great done this way. Just remember if you make these, don't eat too many as they both have more fiber than you expect. I have a beef jerky gun that you can use ground beef (venison) and make jerky. Turns out good and if you want it a little spice, sprinkle the mixture with something spicy after they are made. One of the best things is to take any extra veggies left over and chop and dehydrate them. Toss into a freezer bag and put in the freezer. When you make soup, add extra water and a handful of mixed veggies and enjoy.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
We have an Excaliber but don't use it much. It makes great kale chips!