Anybody got access to a bead blaster?

EugenFJR

Army SDM
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Powder Springs, Hiram
Zip code
Sounds like you got the same Cold Steel trail hawk that I got.
I just sanded off the black epoxy-paint(left it in the pits that are all over the thing) and covered it in mustard for a day. That gave it a brown-ish patina look. Then I wiped it down with water to remove the mustard, heated it up in the oven and applied Oxpho-Blue.
Got a great rustic finish that looks better with time.
Ditch the screw. A Tomahawk isn't supposed to have a solid connection to the handle, should be a good slip fit. You'll likely need to file the inside of the handle hole to taper it and remove burrs.View attachment 43185
I did some work on mine, sanding the handle moving up about 1/4 inch so far, I'd like to move it up at least another 1/4 inch for a better friction fit, I still need to strip the head, get it to bear metal, and cold blue it.

Reactions: I.D.-ten-T

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yup. My Freeman 451 button lock flipper is holding up really nice and I have literally carried it every single day since Blade Show. My Freeman 451 Neck Knife is holding up well too although I don't really use it that often. I want to find someone to make me a nice kydex sheath with a belt clip to wear on my belt and I'd probably use it more often. I don't really like wearing stuff around my neck, although it is nice to just throw it around my neck and put it under my shirt if I'm making a quick trip to the store in basketball shorts or sweat pants.
How do you like the flipper? I’ve been trying to not buy two knives from them. Please say it sucks lol.

Reactions: dial1911

Jake

AKA "Scooter"
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
How do you like the flipper? I’ve been trying to not buy two knives from them. Please say it sucks lol.
Let's just say that I got it at the beginning of June at Blade Show and I have literally carried it every day since. It's the nicest folder I've ever personally handled. I love the button lock flipper action. It makes one handed operation so easy.

Reactions: Laufen

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
This is the best folding knife I've ever handled. It has been in my pocket daily since I bought it at the show- except for the days when I'm in a place that is very unfriendly about knives... then I carry my old Kershaw- they can tell me to toss that in the trash.

And the cerakote finish is actually durable as hell.

15396225882367348011440315670921.jpg

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This is the best folding knife I've ever handled. It has been in my pocket daily since I bought it at the show- except for the days when I'm in a place that is very unfriendly about knives... then I carry my old Kershaw- they can tell me to toss that in the trash.

And the cerakote finish is actually durable as hell.

View attachment 43549
Damn You!!!

Laufen

Badass
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Let's just say that I got it at the beginning of June at Blade Show and I have literally carried it every day since. It's the nicest folder I've ever personally handled. I love the button lock flipper action. It makes one handed operation so easy.
Damn you too!

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Damn You!!!

I could do without the scalloping on the blade. It really doesn't negatively affect function at all, just a little odd looking to me. A plain flat grind would have been more my speed.

But... that aside, I don't have any real complaints. It's very lightweight for it's size. The opening/closing are the slickest I've ever felt on a knife. And if you want, they have different scale inserts for sale... I'm good with the plain old gray carbon fiber (which is actually carbon fiber I think- not just a printed design).