Any Home builders on Here? Anyone in the mortgage industry familiar with new construction loans?

Howard Law

Mr. Goodbar

Savage Hooligan
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Acworth
If building new, recommend spray foaming the attic if thats where your air handler will be? Having a small duct with a damper (can be manual) come off the main suppy duct for the attic

Reactions: Matt Ellerbee

Abby's Dad

Marksman
Apr 15, 2020
Florida
I mean dang.... I'd be pricing out an ICF (insulated concrete form) contractor to get my walls/foundations done and then see what roof trusses and a framer is going to cost me. I'd do my best to be the general contractor at those prices.
What my friend with the 8000+ house did - total of 12" thick between the ICF, etc....

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
What my friend with the 8000+ house did - total of 12" thick between the ICF, etc....
I mean, if I were seriously considering building a house at the prices mentioned here, it would damn sure be made from concrete. I guess the US has finally caught up with Europe and started building houses from rock instead of wood. No dang way I'd pay for a house made from wood at those prices.

ICF is amazing from an energy standpoint. And longevity so long as the cold joints are planned and constructed correctly- i.e. using water stop, etc.

Reactions: Abby's Dad

2Glocks

Half Chicken - Half Trans Man
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Hickory Flat
Zip code
I mean, if I were seriously considering building a house at the prices mentioned here, it would damn sure be made from concrete. I guess the US has finally caught up with Europe and started building houses from rock instead of wood. No dang way I'd pay for a house made from wood at those prices.

ICF is amazing from an energy standpoint. And longevity so long as the cold joints are planned and constructed correctly- i.e. using water stop, etc.
What is ICF? In layman's terms, I'm an accountant so I only speak excel

Just1more

Hunter
Mar 29, 2020
Bolingbroke Ga
Zip code
If building new, recommend spray foaming the attic if thats where your air handler will be? Having a small duct with a damper (can be manual) come off the main suppy duct for the attic
I second this...it’s a little more expensive but well worth it. I can go into my attic during the heat of summer and it’s very comfortable temp wise up there.

2Glocks

Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Hickory Flat
Zip code
Insulating concrete form. Think of it as a tough insulating plastic (well, styrofoam like) concrete form that stays in place after the walls are poured.
Oh that's cool. So does the concrete become the structure of the house or is it just the insulator?

Abby's Dad

Marksman
Apr 15, 2020
Florida
Kind of a cross between a giant LEGO and CMU with rebar. Here in Florida, a lot of homes are built using CMU, but those get one skinny rebar rod and some slurry to fill the voids; not bad, better than wood, but nowhere near as strong as poured in place concrete............
1588343465219.png

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Oh that's cool. So does the concrete become the structure of the house or is it just the insulator?
The concrete walls are the structure. You put furring strips on the outside and inside of the ICF to attach finishes (brick, vinyl, sheetrock, etc.). Strong and very energy efficient walls.

Reactions: Abby's Dad

2Glocks

Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2019
Hickory Flat
Zip code
Dang this is sweet. I am going to talk to the wife about doing this. Maybe she'll trade off a smaller house for one that won't fall apart. Thanks for the info!!