This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Welcome OHGunOwners Members! OHGunOwners has come together with Southeast Traders to build one awesome outdoor and gun trading community. More members, more content, more classifieds and more fun to be experienced. We've made the transition as seamless as possible, so you can use your existing login credentials. If you have any issues, email [email protected] and we will take care of it for you!
    Dismiss Notice

Any 7.3L Diesel guys on here?

Discussion in 'Grease Monkey's Garage' started by Jake, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Matt Ellerbee

Matt Ellerbee Tracker
    Site Supporter

Love that body style. Mine was burgundy with matching ARE hard tonneau cover.

Those look to be warn premium hubs too. Maybe that vacuum crap is gone.

Jake likes this.
  2. Jake

Jake Blade Addict
    Super Moderator Trusted Trader Site Supporter

It's my favorite body style of the F250, with a close second being the '92-'97 models. It's getting harder and harder to find either body style in decent condition. This one appears to be really clean. There's one small dent about the size of a half dollar on the bed on the passenger side by the bumper but I'm pretty sure it'll pop right out. Other than that it appears to be straight.

3. Cudruln

Cudruln Cruzn down da skreet
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

They will be air over manual. They are notorious for seizing up though.

Jake likes this.
  4. Jake

Jake Blade Addict

I think I'm just gonna pay a professional to look at it and tell me if there are any issues. I'd rather drop a couple hundred now than a couple grand in a few months. Everywhere I'm looking online has a list of about 30 different things to look at and I know there's no way I'll remember all of them. If everything checks out and there are no major issues then I can still fix whatever minor issues there are before they turn into something more serious. I'm sure there will be a few minor issues on a truck that is almost 17 years old and has 172,000 miles on it.

5. Gober13

Gober13 Hunter

Badass. My buddy has a 7.3 excursion with 300+k miles and it runs like a champ. Just took it down to ft. Stewert with 7 people and gear loaded down was still getting aroud 15 mpg

6. Jake

Jake Blade Addict

I was looking at Excursions too but I really want/need a truck.

Plus I really miss my Jeep so I'm hoping to replace it with an older CJ or another TJ someday and this would make a badass tow rig that I could use as a recovery vehicle in a pinch if I get broken down on the trail to the point that I can't limp it back to the trailer.

Gober13 likes this.
  7. Kobayashi

Kobayashi Marksman

I had a 97 model that made it to a little over 450k miles before the turbo came apart and took the motor with it. Ironically the issue wasn't the bearings. A crack in the intake was letting in dust and debris, sandblasting the impeller until it came apart. There's no telling how long the engine might have lasted if I had checked/replaced the turbo earlier.

Jake likes this.
  8. NWS

NWS Not a hot midget
    Administrator Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

I'm currently on the hunt for a 97 4x4 long bed crew cab 7.3. My dream truck. Sounds funny since I have a new 6.7 king ranch in the driveway but I have always wanted a 97.

Jake likes this.
  9. Jake

Jake Blade Addict

I love the '92-'97 model F250's. My buddy used to have a '96 F250 reg cab that was lifted 8" on 38" swampers that had a ton of motor/trans work done to it. That truck would haul ass. He used to take the damn thing to the drag strip and put some 37" A/T's on it and smoke mustangs and Camaros all night long. The look on those poor bastards faces after they got back to the pits was hilarious.

10. Kobayashi

Kobayashi Marksman

My 97 was a boring truck, an extended cab two wheel drive. I also wanted a 97 F350 crew for a while, but nice examples are so unreasonably priced that I just lost the desire.

img_jSwnz5A4i6DRvUY.jpg