Recipe Anova Cooking Device Method

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Has anyone seen or had experience with the Anova Cooking Device? The images and videos that I've seen posted on social media looks amazing but I can't seem to get past the "toss it in a plastic bag and put it in a pot of water" method for cooking high end beef.

https://anovaculinary.com/

cooker_hero1-1.png

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'd need to know more about how it works before I trusted something like that. Seems too goo to be true.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Why did he throw it on a pan at the end? Whats the point, if you cook it, and then throw it on a grill or pan to finish it?

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
Why did he throw it on a pan at the end? Whats the point, if you cook it, and then throw it on a grill or pan to finish it?
To give it a sear or char.

The method is called "sous vide." French for "in a vacuum." Simply put, it's "low and slow" on steriods. The water is warmed to just north of 100 degrees...usually max is 140. The idea is an even, slow cooking of the meat to seal in all the flavor and fluids. Then, if you want, throw it on the pan and sear all the juices in, or throw it on the grill for some char marks.

It's not something I'd have in my personal kitchen, but it has its applications.