An irritating (probable) trend

Howard Law

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I've had a Vanguard investment account for over 15 years. I just logged into the account and was informed that I would not be able to proceed until I provide my phone number for 'additional security'. I'm locked out of my own account until I provide my phone number.

Huddy

Weekend Warrior
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I believe you're right...there's no such thing as personal information anymore. And if you attempt to withhold what used to be "private" information, you will no longer be able to participate in modern society. It is irritating.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I believe you're right...there's no such thing as personal information anymore. And if you attempt to withhold what used to be "private" information, you will no longer be able to participate in modern society. It is irritating.

I don't recall my phone number ever being private information. It was published in a book that was dropped off at everyone's front door. It can't be used to compromise your security because it doesn't provide access to any other data. But it does allow the company to contact you via that number, to which only you have access, to verify your identity and protect your actually important information. I get the initial reaction to not want to give any information to anyone. But how exactly is your phone number "private" and how exactly would it compromise your personal information? I'm genuinely interested in the answer, because I don't see it, and see the benefit to protecting my information by using it to secure my data.

Reactions: Leshaire

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I've had a Vanguard investment account for over 15 years. I just logged into the account and was informed that I would not be able to proceed until I provide my phone number for 'additional security'. I'm locked out of my own account until I provide my phone number.

Even Harbor Freight and Walgreens think that they have the right to your information. Cashiers get an attitude when you tell them no.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I don't recall my phone number ever being private information. It was published in a book that was dropped off at everyone's front door. It can't be used to compromise your security because it doesn't provide access to any other data. But it does allow the company to contact you via that number, to which only you have access, to verify your identity and protect your actually important information. I get the initial reaction to not want to give any information to anyone. But how exactly is your phone number "private" and how exactly would it compromise your personal information? I'm genuinely interested in the answer, because I don't see it, and see the benefit to protecting my information by using it to secure my data.

Cell phones numbers have never been posted in books and dropped off anywhere. In this day of computerized robocalls, keeping your numbers off lists is at the very least a matter of limiting harrassment.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Cell phones numbers have never been posted in books and dropped off anywhere. In this day of computerized robocalls, keeping your numbers off lists is at the very least a matter of limiting harrassment.

Oh, I understand the need to keep your number off robocall lists. Never answering a number you don't recognize is the best way to avoid that. Once a single of those robocalls finds out you're a real person, they sell your number to tons of firms. But that isn't really relevant here. Those robocalls are using random number dialers, not getting your number from your investment company's security feature. In fact, your own phone company is giving your number to spammers. So I wouldn't worry about using as a security method from companies you actually do business with. They are the least of your worries when considering who to give your number to and who not to.

Reactions: Grunk

Leshaire

Ninja
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I always use a number that is one digit off from my real one for shit like this. Especially the Cabelas Walgreens Harbor Freights etc... Easy to remember and comes off the tongue quick since only the last digit is one off.

Reactions: Liberty and Grunk

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I always use a number that is one digit off from my real one for shit like this. Especially the Cabelas Walgreens Harbor Freights etc... Easy to remember and comes off the tongue quick since only the last digit is one off.
Apologies, but I missed a few responses.

I never give my phone number when a retailer asks at checkout. The problem I'm having with Vanguard is a little different. I've had an account with vanguard for 15 years and already have a login and recovery email set up. Out of the blue, they wouldn't allow me to log in normally and required a phone number for access. I have to provide my phone real number, because they then send a text message with an access code for login. After stepping through that process, I could then specify that I wanted the code sent by email going forward - which is what I already had.

• Wow
Reactions: Grunk

FarewellToKings

formerly HoldYourFire
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jun 21, 2019
Central, Ga
Zip code

I never give my phone number when a retailer asks at checkout. The problem I'm having with Vanguard is a little different. I've had an account with vanguard for 15 years and already have a login and recovery email set up. Out of the blue, they wouldn't allow me to log in normally and required a phone number for access. I have to provide my phone real number, because they then send a text message with an access code for login. After stepping through that process, I could then specify that I wanted the code sent by email going forward - which is what I already had.
Sounds like someone did a piss poor job of (re)designing a security system.

Reactions: Kobayashi

Mac11FA

Gunoholic
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Most all online accounts are going to the extra step verification process of sending a text message with a code. This is primarily if the device you are logging into is not recognized by their system. This is for your protection. Unless someone has cloned your phone they cannot access your account unless they receive the security code via text. Email is not exactly a safe way to receive it as email accounts are much easier to hack.

I use only one device to log in to most of my accounts. I have only run into the security code step when I try to log in from another device. I would rather have the extra step of logging in rather than to log in and find my account empty.

ReservoirDawg10

Weekend Warrior
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code

Dude. Seriously. You phone number isn't personal or private. Get over it. Take off the massive tinfoil hat.

ReservoirDawg10

Weekend Warrior
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
This is your retirement nest egg. You have put a lot of money into it. Keep it as secure as possible. They have your social. They have your address. They have your email address.

Reactions: Laufen

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Most all online accounts are going to the extra step verification process of sending a text message with a code. This is primarily if the device you are logging into is not recognized by their system. This is for your protection. Unless someone has cloned your phone they cannot access your account unless they receive the security code via text. Email is not exactly a safe way to receive it as email accounts are much easier to hack.

I use only one device to log in to most of my accounts. I have only run into the security code step when I try to log in from another device. I would rather have the extra step of logging in rather than to log in and find my account empty.

^^^This. Adding an extra layer of security to your account.

Of course - No one is against improved security, but it bugs me that companies are either lazy and assume that everyone wants their life tied to their phone, or that they force people to share ever increasing information in order to do business. I expect a company to give me options and provide adequate security on their side of the equation. There are more options than requiring me to receive a text message every time I want to log in.