This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Accurate Magpro

Discussion in 'Reloading Talk' started by handloader, Oct 8, 2018.

?

Are you interested in more reloading threads for milsurps/ centerfield hunting rifles?

This poll will close on Nov 12, 2019 at 5:07 PM.
  1. Yes, I would love to see more reloading here on the forums.

100.0%
  2. Keep your stupid thoughts to yourself (but seriously, I really want to see more)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Put gunpowder in your tacos.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. handloader

handloader Marksman
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

I recently picked up a couple pounds of Accurate Magpro to load under Bergers in .243 and 7mm mag. It is a spherical powder, and it meters like water thru both my RCBS and Redding powder measures. The impacts were about the same or slightly higher than with IMR 4350, but Magpro is extremely easy to use. The impacts vs previous zero could have been affected by the warm temptertures during testing. No trickling needed with the Redding. The RCBS couldn't throw big enough charges for the 7mm mag. There will be no chronographing until after deer season for obvious reasons. My testing was done on a range instead of out behind the barn. The biggest plus for me was MOA or better accuracy at max -.5 grain charges! The rifles are both known good shooters. In my reloading adventures, I have noticed that with many powders, max loads don't always deliver stellar accuracy. Also, I was very pleased with the degree of pressure signs left on the case heads and CCI primers. Please start low and carefully work up charges, as all rifles are different. Hope this helps other reloaders shooting overbore rounds.

AirOpsMgr and Huddy like this.
  2. Huddy

Huddy Tracker

I'm always game for more information. I just picked up an RCBS kit and sat through the free Hornady class at AO. Seemed like good info.

handloader likes this.
  3. handloader

handloader Marksman
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

RCBS is where it's at. IMR 4064 is the most versatile non-magnum rifle powder, though it doesn't meter very well. Unique is the most versatile pistol powder. If you can only choose 2, those are where I would start.

4. Jake

Jake Actually, you know what, fuck that Jeter guy.
    Super Moderator Trusted Trader

I'd love to get into reloading some day, I just don't have the space, money or time right now to get into it. I'd like to see some more reloading content though to study up on it until I'm able to get setup for reloading.

handloader likes this.
  5. War Paint

War Paint Tracker