Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
You sure it's not a wheel bearing? Never heard of discs just locking up but I'm no mechanic.

Don't ask me how I know about cheaping out on brakes. Had front rotors on Pilot turned and they promptly warped in no time.

Put some fancy rotors and pads on it and she'll almost do a stoppie...

This is the 2nd time that my front driver side rotor has locked up on me. The first time they were able to free it up and greased it up real well. It just happened again so I'm gonna just have them replace it. I just had my buddy who is a mechanic rebuild the whole front end (suspension, CV axles, bearings, etc.) on that thing about 6 months ago so I know it's not the wheel bearing. I wish I could wait for him to get to it but I need my car today and I'm 70 miles from home.

Rotors warping are a huge problem on the bigger Honda's (Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey) on the front end. My sister's Odyssey had the same issue repeatedly. She went through three sets of rotors in less than 100k miles. We ended up putting drilled and slotted rotors and some nice ceramic pads on it and it solved that issue. Before she traded in that Odyssey and got her new one we took the drilled and slotted rotors off of the old one and put the factory ones back on and then transferred the drilled and slotted ones onto her new one.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
You sure it's not a wheel bearing? Never heard of discs just locking up but I'm no mechanic.

Don't ask me how I know about cheaping out on brakes. Had front rotors on Pilot turned and they promptly warped in no time.

Put some fancy rotors and pads on it and she'll almost do a stoppie...

Factory Honda Pilot rotors are meant to be replaced, not turned per the service manual. I had mine turned and was back in less than 30 days for new rotors. Yep, they warp after tuning.
Now I don’t even bother with turning. I just replace them. Same for my fords.
The days of turning are long gone I’m afraid.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
This is the 2nd time that my front driver side rotor has locked up on me. The first time they were able to free it up and greased it up real well. It just happened again so I'm gonna just have them replace it. I just had my buddy who is a mechanic rebuild the whole front end (suspension, CV axles, bearings, etc.) on that thing about 6 months ago so I know it's not the wheel bearing. I wish I could wait for him to get to it but I need my car today and I'm 70 miles from home.

Rotors warping are a huge problem on the bigger Honda's (Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey) on the front end. My sister's Odyssey had the same issue repeatedly. She went through three sets of rotors in less than 100k miles. We ended up putting drilled and slotted rotors and some nice ceramic pads on it and it solved that issue. Before she traded in that Odyssey and got her new one we took the drilled and slotted rotors off of the old one and put the factory ones back on and then transferred the drilled and slotted ones onto her new one.
D&S rotors aren't really good for street cars. They tend to warp and crack.

HIGH quality regular rotors are a much better option

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Factory Honda Pilot rotors are meant to be replaced, not turned per the service manual. I had mine turned and was back in less than 30 days for new rotors. Yep, they warp after tuning.
Now I don’t even bother with turning. I just replace them. Same for my fords.
The days of turning are long gone I’m afraid.
Yep, I just know I have to replace rotors at 100K miles or sooner. Chrysler minivan and Hyundai SUV are the same.
@Jake Order parts on line @Advance Auto for local pick up. Most of the times you can find a coupon for at least 25% off. It was cheaper than Amazon, and same as RockAuto, and I had parts on the same day.

Last edited:

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
I still kick myself for not snatching one when they were on sale to mil/leo for $850 a few years back
I remember them being cheap again. Like as much as a Five seveN. I’ll check RSR group real quick and see what cost is. Totally do able

especially with efile times cruising. No brace option means absolute SBR necessary