This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Welcome OHGunOwners Members! OHGunOwners has come together with Southeast Traders to build one awesome outdoor and gun trading community. More members, more content, more classifieds and more fun to be experienced. We've made the transition as seamless as possible, so you can use your existing login credentials. If you have any issues, email [email protected] and we will take care of it for you!
    Dismiss Notice

A Personal Thread on Gun Rights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Laufen, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:10 PM.

1. Tedkennedy

Tedkennedy Woodsman

Yes, freedom's that important.

Or you say that the change from an agrarian populace to a manufacturing populace to our current service-oriented/parasitic populace has turned us into a country of big-state crybabies that are not only soft, but too cowardly to take responsibility for our own liberty, and your thoughts won't matter for much longer.....

karlvv likes this.
  2. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

Agreed.
    We've also had that discussion, and I laid out a very similar argument. Actually multiple times.

3. Cudruln

Cudruln Cruzn down da skreet
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

All I got to say is he must be a really good friend to put up with this.

I have cut people off for far less.

4. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

He is. He truly is interested in my perspective, and understands that our vastly different experiences growing up have a lot to do with our opinions. He's never rude, disrespectful or condescending. He's a rare bird of anti-gun folks.

Cudruln likes this.
  5. ~ZENAS~

~ZENAS~ Tracker
    Super Moderator

I only have room in my life for a handful of close friends. And making that cut means they are on the same page as me in all major areas of my life (religion, politics, hobbies, family life, etc...). Although I do have a friend who's a Michigan fan so I guess that's not much different. ;)

erkinator and Huddy like this.
  6. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

sounds awful
    I don't like echo chambers, and I'm not afraid that have my opinions challenged. I enjoy it. It's the only way for growth to happen.

7. ~ZENAS~

~ZENAS~ Tracker
    Super Moderator

I didn't say anything about being afraid to have my opinion challenged. I welcome that. But a true friend is someone "closer than a brother". To me that is a very exclusive thing. I have many acquaintances, even close acquaintances that I will spend time with and have no problem differing from them in major ways. But to me a true friend is something very different from that.

erkinator likes this.
  8. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

Being a true friend doesn't have to mean you agree on every issue. It hopefully means that the person can respectfully challenge your ideas and you each benefit and grow as a result. Do you ever listen to new kinds of music? Trying to kind of food? Travel to someplace new?

Honestly, if I were looking for friends that held all of the same core beliefs as I do I would never have another friend. LOL

9. Laufen

Laufen The Legend
    Trusted Trader

A true friend is someone that wouldn't dare present an opposing opinion for fear of upsetting you? A true friend has to hold all of the same core beliefs as you? Seriously? You could never have a true friend of another religion or no religion? Your house is built upon the shifting sand kemosabe.

10. ~ZENAS~

~ZENAS~ Tracker
    Super Moderator

You sure jump to conclusions and assumptions and try to put words in my mouth. All I said was I have a lot of acquaintances and only a handful of true friends. That is they way I like it. And I choose my close friends carefully. Not just anyone can get into that inner circle. Your assumption that because my close friends are only those who share similar beliefs and values to me, that we can't ever disagree. And that's foolishness and betrays your logic and reasoning. However, while we sure can disagree, as any two humans are subject to, because our core values and beliefs are common, we typically would never disagree on major issues of life. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but that it's rare. And it's rare by design.

Do you choose a spouse with a similar set of values and beliefs, or do you choose a spouse who views this journey of life fundamentally different from you? Hopefully the former (although with divorce rates what they are many people don't understand the importance of this). And your spouse is the closest of your friends (or should be). Your other friendships are no different and should entail similar decisionmaking.

And I don't know how you could possibly argue that having a small inner circle of close friends who share your values and beliefs is building anything upon shifting sands. That's about as solid a foundation as human relationships can have. Kemosabe.

karlvv likes this.