A little knowledge for all semi-auto (and revolver) owners.

GA Firing Line

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Does my gun have a clip or a magazine? I have seen so many people call a magazine a clip I thought I would create a thread about it. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has a nice write on them, but my favorite is of course Hickok45 which made this nice little vidieo on the differences for them. Hope this helps the shooters out there that are not sure the difference between the two.

Magazine vs Clip

As I was playing around in Hickok45's youtube site I ran across this video as well, How NOT to shoot a semi-auto pistol. Something similar happened to a friend of mine back in 1979 when I bought my first semi-auto (a .25 Titan F.I.E. for $49.95 at the local department store) when we took it out the first time, but he only got a good cut from it. For the beginners this will save you some skin/pain and for the experienced it should be a little amusing to see what happened to the hotdog.

How NOT to shoot a semi-automatic Pistol

Reactions: 3 people

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
The first time my BIL fired my S$W 669, 30 years ago... He did exactly as the video shows. Luckily it just ripped his thumb up pretty good and did not take it off. He still is a far better candidate for wheel guns than semi-autos in every conceivable way.

Now for wheel guns... the rule of "thumb" is to keep all parts of both hands behind the front of the cylinder so gases from discharge don't engulf and burn the be-jesus out of your exposed fingers. Yeah, WE all know THAT! ::)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Great post, Nomad. I hope everybody looks at those videos.

My wife got the web of her support hand cut when she shot my Walther PPK/S. Fortunately, it was a relatively minor injury but she will never forget it.

R

rayzer007

These videos are a very good idea Ron! Right time for them too!

Ray

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Thanks SkipD, I would like to see gun forums put things like this up as sticky's. Unfortunately not everyone that buys a pistol/revolver understands the simple concepts that are second nature to most of us.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I think many shooters (or folks doing other things) get rather complacent with what they do. It's a good idea to wake us all up once in a while.

I've combined the semi-auto and revolver threads and made this combination a sticky.

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Nomad said:
3Coyotes said:
Good way to keep your fingers intact

Sure is a good way, little late for me though lol.
Me too...I remember resting my LCP on a wood block to test for accuracy in it's infancy, and you guessed it, I wasn't paying attention to my L Thumb...put a HUGE "L" shaped gash in the fingerprint area & took forever to heal. Guess the saying "Bad Experiences" give us "Good Judgment" later in life is very true. Probably lucky for me it was only the LCP. Great vids to watch, we are never too good to refresh the mind! Yogi :-[ :eek: :mad: 8)

M

mukwah

Been there, done that!! Thought I was the only idiot at the range who had ever done that and tried to hide the blood dripping everywhere! Now I don't feel so bad about it!:-*

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
My hats off to Nomad for posting these videos. Also thanks to SkipD for the combination and posting of them as a single sticky. Good stuff for beginners and a reminder to us old folks who have been at it for sometime and recall a few ouch moments of our own.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Most of us have the scar. usually only let the slide get us one time. I try to make sure all newbies I take shooting know the story with this prob.

Kennydale

Hunter
Oct 22, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
kennydale-albums-funny-picture87342-de2.jpg
Me shooting a friends 1943 M1 (WITH CLIP). (NOTE:The drone is a PHOTOSHOP)

unclenunzie

Scout
Mar 7, 2010
SW Florida
Some years ago a friend (middle aged man) expressed an interest in obtaining a 380 pistol, and asked me about it. I think he had a line on a S&W bodyguard from someone he knew. Anyway, I explained the safety rules and we went with other friends to a local range to go shoot, taking my LCP so he could at least try a 380 somewhat similar to the BG. Well, I left him in a nearby firing port after showing him how to operate the LCP, while I helped a much younger friend learn the basics in another port.

So, a short while later he came over to me and showed me his bleeding thumb - not terribly bad but certainly painful and ugly. He had made the mistake of using his thumb as a kind of index to sight the target and of course the slide did what a slide will do. To this day I feel guilt over it because it was my responsibility to teach him never to allow body parts in the slide's path. I think I mentioned it but did not sufficiently emphasize the risk of injury. I had been so focused on making sure the younger man learned proper safety (muzzle control, etc) that I neglected the needs of an older friend.

So along with the videos posted here I would add that one should be careful to pay attention to what anyone you are teaching is doing and is learning (or not learning).

Good on RR60 for raising awareness.