Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Anybody running one? I'm thinking about building one on an SET lower. I know ammo cost is expensive but I don't really shoot AR's enough for that to be a determining factor. I would primarily be using it for hunting and just for some fun at the range.

Is a regular AR(lower and upper) going to be strong enough to hold up over time to the recoil of a .458? I know that CMMG has a dedicated .458 setup in their Anvil that is beefed up vs a standard AR. While it is a badass rifle, I just don't know that I want to drop $2K on an AR(not including an optic).

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I took this right off Primary Arms they have a Radical Firearms Upper that was on sale a couple weeks ago for $430

The Radical Firearms 16" .458 SOCOM Complete Upper Receiver Group is a law-enforcement grade, drop in receiver, ready to be mounted to any MIL-SPEC AR-15 lower receiver. This fully MIL-SPEC compliant receiver provides a high-quality upper for any level budget shooter.

Link

Reactions: Jake

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I've shot them a couple of times. I think it's the AR equivalent of the Desert Eagle in .50AE personally.

The quick Google search I did looks like the ballistics are not great considering the cost of ammo. I personally would do a AR-10 and enjoy better/cheaper/more ammo choices.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I've shot them a couple of times. I think it's the AR equivalent of the Desert Eagle in .50AE personally.

The quick Google search I did looks like the ballistics are not great considering the cost of ammo. I personally would do a AR-10 and enjoy better/cheaper/more ammo choices.

There's a wide variety of ammo choices. I think it's kinda like the 10mm in that to get good ballistics you have to step up to the premium stuff.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I was thinking of doing the same. I like oddball stuff. I really dont like 5.56.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I was thinking of doing the same. I like oddball stuff. I really dont like 5.56.

I think that's why I don't shoot my AR's hardly at all anymore. .223/5.56 just gets boring to me. I like the big bore stuff. My favorite gun I've ever owned was a S&W 329 night guard(2.5" barrel, scandium framed .44mag). That thing was brutal to shoot, but it was soooooo much fun. The felt recoil on that gun was worse than my 4" S&W 500.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Thanks man, definitely going to check out that .458 socom subforum!

That's how I jumped in both feet with 6.5G was a sub forum. Tons of info at your fingertips. Learn from others experiences to save you the trouble and skip right to having fun shooting

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
That's how I jumped in both feet with 6.5G was a sub forum. Tons of info at your fingertips. Learn from others experiences to save you the trouble and skip right to having fun shooting

Yeah man, the only thing I'm worried about is how it'll hold up over time with a regular AR lower and upper. I know that some .458 ammo says to only shoot in the CMMG Anvil because of risk of catastrophic failure in standard AR's. Man I really want that CMMG Anvil, but $2k + optics is a lot more than I'm willing to spend, but damn if it ain't a tank of a rifle...

SmartSelectImage_2017-07-19-18-08-20.png

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I think that's why I don't shoot my AR's hardly at all anymore. .223/5.56 just gets boring to me. I like the big bore stuff. My favorite gun I've ever owned was a S&W 329 night guard(2.5" barrel, scandium framed .44mag). That thing was brutal to shoot, but it was soooooo much fun. The felt recoil on that gun was worse than my 4" S&W 500.

Up yours.

THAT dang gun almost made me go left-handed after shooting it...

You and your dang scandium and deer loads.

I had to type that last sentence with my left hand, my right hand had to go to its safe space...

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code

It does look bad ass. I'm curious now to research more. I read on Wilson Combat:

In our opinion the .458 SOCOM has several design and performance advantages over the.450 Bushmaster and the .500 Beowulf including improved functional reliability and the use of a standard AR magazine.

Wonder why CMMG says you need to beef it up for long term use. Are there any proprietary parts good only from CMMG for the Anvil or no

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
It does look bad ass. I'm curious now to research more. I read on Wilson Combat :

In our opinion the .458 SOCOM has several design and performance advantages over the.450 Bushmaster and the .500 Beowulf including improved functional reliability and the use of a standard AR magazine.

Wonder why CMMG says you need to beef it up for long term use. Are there any proprietary parts good only from CMMG for the Anvil or no

I believe that there are some proprietary parts used on the Anvil(99% sure).

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Up yours.

THAT dang gun almost made me go left-handed after shooting it...

You and your dang scandium and deer loads.

I had to type that last sentence with my left hand, my right hand had to go to its safe space...

LOL! You know you liked it. Those GA Arms Deer Stopper loads were pretty fucking brutal. I literally shot that gun loose with that ammo. Remember when I'd have to tighten the cylinder latch back down after shooting a cylinder through that thing with that ammo? Good times man, good times!

Reactions: Hayata

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
LOL! You know you liked it. Those GA Arms Deer Stopper loads were pretty fucking brutal. I literally shot that gun loose with that ammo. Remember when I'd have to tighten the cylinder latch back down after shooting a cylinder through that thing with that ammo? Good times man, good times!

Indeed, my friend, indeed good times!

Good luck with the build. Never shot one but it should suit your tastes just fine from what I hear.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I, too, looked at the .458 SOCOM for a build. I cannot decide between it and the .450 bushmaster. It looks like I may go with the 6.5 Grendel since I would have to buy a dedicated can for .458 or .450 calibers.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
@_Jake_ I misread your original post about using your SET lower. I was thinking you were just starting from scratch.

I think for what you want it is a good caliber. It's been gaining popularity and I think it will be better than the .50 Beowulf (which I think is the only similar round) in ammo availability.

If you wanted to go full retard you could try and build a .458 SBR for maximum flame and pissig off people at the range.