22lr is a finicky lil bitch...

Howard Law

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
But I love it. Has taught me a lot as I have taken the dive the past couple years. Finished getting a b14r together and getting it cycling. That was quite the feat in and of itself as these match 22lr 700 footprint guns are very touchy with feeding, stemming from the rounds needing to be fed directly into the chamber. So there can be zero mag slop. Zero. None.

But anyways. Went today to get it sighted in perfectly and numbers on a new lot of Eley Match.

After warming up the barrel to the new lot, here is my 10 shot group at 100 yards.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-01-20 16:55:00.362910.png

I'm happy with that. Half inch group with the 3 "flyers." 7 rounds on top of each other. (Blue crosshair is my POA)

So, lock down my zero and set my zero stop. Then onto the last part, get good chrono numbers.

A bit of background. Killough tests each lot of Eley ammo on 3 different barrels, takes the average velocity, and provides that number for each lot of ammo they sell. Pretty sweet. Never expect my velocity to be the exact same, and historically, I get a slightly lower velocity than what is advertised. Ample experience there with a Kidd Supergrade, Tikka T1x, T1x with a Lothar Walther match barrel, couple CZ 455's, etc. I bought 4k rounds of a somewhat hot Eley ammo, and it was going super a fair amount, about 70% of the time, a few weeks ago, so I ordered half a case of slower ammo, advertised at 1051.

Well, I attach my magnetospeed to this new ammo, annnnd...

20210120_170454.jpg

Fuck! Still hot! Obviously worked fine at 100 yards, but this is gonna fall apart past that distance, and you can see it in the groups I was shooting. Good thing I'm heading out to shoot a 500 yard 22lr match tomorrow. This barrel is running super hot. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I guess that I need to get stuff from Killough that shoots around 1000 for them.

Otherwise, the numbers are good. I heard the one crack, but still a sub 5fps SD.... out of 22lr. My handloaded match centerfire rounds aren't running an SD under 5.

I'm loving this 22lr game, but damn she is a finicky lil bitch.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
22 lr is an addiction , I’m not in as deep as you are, but I do shoot eley edge ammo. I’m told it was discontinued , I have a couple thousand Eley contacts ,that are supposed to be subsonic , but not one of them are so far, Nice Shooting

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
22 lr is an addiction , I’m not in as deep as you are, but I do shoot eley edge ammo. I’m told it was discontinued , I have a couple thousand Eley contacts ,that are supposed to be subsonic , but not one of them are so far, Nice Shooting
I have HIGHLY considered dumping some of my centerfire stuff and diving further into the rimfire game. So many more opportunities to shoot competitively without spending time on a plane and a couple nights in a hotel. Not to mention, stretch my capabilities.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
I have HIGHLY considered dumping some of my centerfire stuff and diving further into the rimfire game. So many more opportunities to shoot competitively without spending time on a plane and a couple nights in a hotel. Not to mention, stretch my capabilities.
I talked to a guy I work with the other day he has sold a lot of his center fire stuff and got into rimfire a good bit more. He is on the othersite but dont think he is on set, I’m pretty sure you know him. He lives in taylorsville

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Yea he told me last week, I’m sure before it’s over with I’ll have one to, or some other high end 22.

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Which B14r do you have? I've got the CF barrel one and have been impressed with it so far. Still breaking it in and haven't had time to shoot it much lately. Mine loved Eley Edge ammo. Haven't tried any of the Eley higher up stuff yet.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Which B14r do you have? I've got the CF barrel one and have been impressed with it so far. Still breaking it in and haven't had time to shoot it much lately. Mine loved Eley Edge ammo. Haven't tried any of the Eley higher up stuff yet.
CF. Wish I had gone steel now though to offset the weight of the stock

Reactions: KhyberPass

Allsmiles

Frontiersman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Mar 15, 2017
Golfcart City, GA
Zip code
Steel wasn't available when I ordered mine due to waiting too long to decide. Trying to decide if I want to put a TriggerTech in it to match my 6.5.

Reactions: KhyberPass