2021 Gardening Thread - get in here green thumbs

Faktory 47

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Here is a recipe for basic super soil. Can use in containers or beds. In containers, I would add perlite.

8 large bags of high quality organic potting soil. Amend about 20% coco-coir into soil if not already in the mix. If the mix does not already contain mycorrhizae, add mycorrhizae per package instructions. This is your base soil.

25 to 50 lbs. of organic worm castings.

5 lbs. steamed bone meal.

5 lbs. of high phosphorous bat guano ("bloom").

5 lbs. blood meal.

3 lbs. rock phosphate.

3/4 cup of epson salts.

1/2 cup azomite (trace elements).

1/2 cup of sweet lime (dolomite).

2 tbsp powdered humic acid.

Mix ingredients well.

You may use straight away. I usually put in a clean trash can with a cover and let it "cook" a few weeks.

You should not have to add any amendments during the season. Just water and GROW.

How much ground for this formula? I've got close to 2500 square feet in my garden. I have added at least 3 pallets of potting soil. It's been years trying to get my soil dark.

Grainchaser

Tracker
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
How much ground for this formula? I've got close to 2500 square feet in my garden. I have added at least 3 pallets of potting soil. It's been years trying to get my soil dark.
The only way I have used this particular recipe is with containers.

I am guessing it would make a great amendment/mulch layer to existing soil beds.

Reactions: karlvv

T_Max

Owner of ole blue
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Here is a recipe for basic super soil. Can use in containers or beds. In containers, I would add perlite.

8 large bags of high quality organic potting soil. Amend about 20% coco-coir into soil if not already in the mix. If the mix does not already contain mycorrhizae, add mycorrhizae per package instructions. This is your base soil.

25 to 50 lbs. of organic worm castings.

5 lbs. steamed bone meal.

5 lbs. of high phosphorous bat guano ("bloom").

5 lbs. blood meal.

3 lbs. rock phosphate.

3/4 cup of epson salts.

1/2 cup azomite (trace elements).

1/2 cup of sweet lime (dolomite).

2 tbsp powdered humic acid.

Mix ingredients well.

You may use straight away. I usually put in a clean trash can with a cover and let it "cook" a few weeks.

You should not have to add any amendments during the season. Just water and GROW.
Pretty good combination ,on raised beds before we plant we spread bagged turkey poop on top of the beds, and planting tomatoes we use a little extra Epsom salts, grain chaser is pretty much spot on,, Warning if you use horse manure to till in, and the hay the horses ate was sprayed with grazion ( weed killer ) ,it will kill your garden

T_Max

Owner of ole blue
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Karlv you live in a very sandy area , have it tested , I bet you need a lot of lime

karlvv

The muthafuckin LEGEND
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
Karlv you live in a very sandy area , have it tested , I bet you need a lot of lime

Yup. Lots of sand and clay. Little dirt. I've been working on it. I think I'm getting close but I skipped a year.

Reactions: dial1911

T_Max

Owner of ole blue
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Y’all keep in mind chicken manure is full of weed seeds a lot of the time, Llama manure is good to use and don’t go through a heat like other manure does, if you can find it

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I put a garden in when we first moved to our home in 1997. Over the years it's had loads of leaves, countless truckloads of horse manure, and hundreds of pounds of catfish scraps, bones, shad added to it. You really can't overdo it with horse manure, and all the fish skeletons add calcium. If you bury the fish in when the ground is warm, they disappear quickly, and don't smell.

I buried a bunch in the winter one year, then turned them up with a tiller about a month later....not good lol.

I downsized my garden last year, since it's just me and the wife. Might be doing raised beds this year.

erkinator

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
My wife keeps our garden. Of course she brings me out to till the ground and whatnot. She's all about it. She grows a shitload of peppers and makes her own pepper spray pesticides and stuff. She's been asking me to add a collection of heirloom seeds to our prep, but I know nothing about that. Interested to hear advice on that.

She's also been on me about a greenhouse so she can keep some of it going year round. I guess I'll add that on my list of projects to get done before next fall.
In for recipe for pesticide. I am not a green thumb,first year we planted the usual's and had a bumper crop. I did know it was fresh mushroom compost from previous owner. Fast forward next 5 years. Each year got worse, soil was used up I would guess. I always threw in 10 bags cow manure during tilling each year. I did notice the bugs would get worse each years and shade creeped in alot when the trees kept growing. Now garden is half shade. I am going to go to above ground garden and only plant the sunny side this year.

Reactions: Tedkennedy

erkinator

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Local landscape place had some awesome mushroom compost mix. Used it in a raised bed I built for a client and they said it worked great.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Picked up some beefsteak tomato and sweet basil seeds today. Should be able to get them started tomorrow.

Reactions: Miles