This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

2018 Deer Talk

Discussion in 'Hunting Talk' started by Rwjeter, Aug 26, 2018.

1. dougiemac

dougiemac Warden
    Owner Trusted Trader

I'd definitely be in for some hogs.

2. dougiemac

dougiemac Warden
    Owner Trusted Trader

LOL.... I had my head shaved as long as 2 years ago... then I forgot to cut it again.

karlvv likes this.
  3. Hoss

Hoss Mall Cop
    Administrator Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

Put some corn out yesterday around 4:00pm. All of it still there at noon today. Might be time for a new spot on the front side of the property.

4. Hoss

Hoss Mall Cop

My buddy came over to hunt today and basically told me the following:

1) You have a lot of fucking deer on your property.

2) You are lucky to have killed any this year based on the fact that you have no idea what you're doing.

3) Your stand is about 12' too low and that see-through camo netting is gay. He climbed in my 8' high stand and tucked in behind the netting then told me to walk as far out as I could see from the stand. I did and looked at the stand from about 30 yards away. At that distancr he was roughly eye-level and I could see him as plain as day through the netting.

We spent the day designing a tree stand and picking a spot. We started on it this afternoon. It's roughly 23' high and the view from the stand is ridiculous. It overlooks a perfect 20x40 yard clearing for a food plot and had perfect visibility on 3 main trails and the intersection of the three where my low stand has been. I can see 75-100 yards down each trail now, whereas before I could only hunt the intersection. My potential shot-zone easily expanded 10-fold. I have several clearings I can now see, where corn feeders can be placed.

I just came in from the woods and have the new stand framed in. I should be able to finish it by Friday. Once the deer get used to the ladder I should see a huge improvement in harvest.

#484 Hoss, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 8:10 PM
  5. Cudruln

Cudruln My new friend......
    Trusted Trader Lifetime Supporter

Awesome. I have plans to clear some more property out this coming off season and putting up some permanent stands. Sounds like you will have your work cut out in the off season.

#485 Cudruln, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018 at 8:10 PM
  6. the_great_white

the_great_white A True Legend
    Trusted Trader Site Supporter

That's the same thing i told @karlvv

Cudruln, karlvv and Hoss like this.
  7. Hoss

Hoss Mall Cop

Framing out the new West-stand. It's 22' off the ground. The platforms will be 25" wide by 48" long. The design is expandable to make a 360 platform later. All tree contact points are anchored by 6" 3/8" lag bolts. All lumber to lumber contact points are drilled and attached by 5/16" bolts/nuts. A similar stand will be built 200 yards East. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Mac11FA

Mac11FA Facilitator

Hopefully the tree will continue to grow and you will.end up higher each year. LOL.

9. Cudruln

Cudruln My new friend......

Would almost be easier and cheaper to buy a pre built stand. Looks good though. You definitely have a lot more dedication to it than I do