2017 Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Reciprocity States

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Since the State of Ohio began to issue concealed carry weapon permits (CCW Permits) we have been blessed with having reciprocity agreements with other starts to allow us to carry concealed. Currently Ohio has one of these best and most extensive reciprocity agreements in the country. States with an asterisk (*) next to them honor Ohio Resident Permits only (meaning you must also have a valid Ohio ID). States with a double asterisk only honor permits issued after 3/22/15, and the legendary triple asterisk denote states with permitless carry laws. Meaning if you can legally possess a firearm, you may carry it concealed in those states.

• Vermont***
  • Delaware
  • New Hampshire*
  • Pennsylvania
  • West Virginia
  • Virginia
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina*

View full article

Last edited by a moderator:

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Wonder if they'll get more states added as we go. I'm not sure there is many more to add though, most the states left don't allow concealed carry or have extremely strict controls over their gun laws. 

I'm afraid with Trumps recent political tanking the list is more likely to shrink than expand.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Good post David.

I would also suggest posting the link to the site: www.handgunlaw.us

I give this link to all my CCW students. Not only does the site clearly let you know where you can and can't carry, it also gives a good synopsis of the laws of each state along with links to the actual statutes. Any time I travel out of state I give a quick check to that site and study up on the local laws of the state I am travelling to.

While checking the AG's website is useful, they only post reciprocity agreements. Many of these states (as you mentioned) allow us to carry there without reciprocity agreements, so they aren't found on the AG's site. That's why I use handgunlaw.us. 

I am very diligent in following new legislation so I am usually up to date on new laws and agreements, and I have yet to find a single law or change in the law that handgunlaw.us is not updated on before the law goes into effect. Of course, always stay abreast of updates and don't trust any site 100%, but if there was ever a site to trust, it's that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for that link, I was trying to remember the name of the site with all that good info. I'll get it added in there today! 

Bills Guns

Hunter
Aug 24, 2016
Just used this for traveling over to Arkansas. Great information to know that I could conceal carry the entire way, especially since my wife makes me make a lot of stops at rest areas.

G

Greg in Ohio

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Minnesota has a director that reviews reciprocity annually. Currently Ohio is NOT approved so an Ohio license is NOT valid in Minnesota. Any map that shows that an Ohio permit is valid in Minnesota is out of date. The map you provided from buckeyefirearms.org is taken directly from www.handgunlaw.us . As I mentioned, they are the absolute best source of ccw reciprocity information and they always keep up to date. I suggest checking there first, then to answer any further questions, they link you to each state statutes. In this case, they say that Minnesota is required to keep a list of approved and not approved states on the internet. So here is that list:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx